Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I must admit I had forgotten to put a visit to Tesco on my 'Things to do in Shetland in August' list. I’m sure da bairns would be delighted to visit another supermarket. Hey, we might even follow it up with a visit to the Co-op.

I don’t doubt that low cost food is important to consumers, particularly those with young mouths to feed, and it seems that the people of Shetland have got their wish.

All I’m saying is there seems to be an awful lot of hype about a shop.

Personally, I'm rather looking forward to a visit to the new museum.

I Agree, feeding the family id more important than entertainment anyday!

Indeed, feeding the family is important, as is education which for me is the genre the museum should come under.

I can hardly work out what all the excitement about Tesco is at the moment - it is just a supermarket, isn't it?

It's not as if we've been living in some sort of dark age, some sort of subsistence living that the opening of this new store will miraculously make better. If anyone is having trouble putting food on their plates with the deals that the Co-op and Somerfield had on then I don't think you're going to be mightily better off now.

I also can't understand how people feel they will shop at one to the exclusion of the other - is it really that big a deal? Both will probably continue to have plus points over the other and I'll use each one as it suits me while continuing to do the bulk of my grocery shopping and refuelling at my local shop (as I'd miss it a helluva lot more than any supermarket in da toon).

I can hardly work out what all the excitement about Tesco is at the moment - it is just a supermarket, isn't it?

At a guess I'd say you're not a person who has to do the weekly shop for the family each weekend with kids in tow.

I wonder just how many of the folk on here who have constantly knocked Tesco on this thread actually do the weekly family shop?

From the last few pages - Roachmill, Auld Ramsie, Posiedon & Skyumpi all seem to have a strong opposition to Tesco or supermarkets in general.

Do any of you do the family shop each weekend with kids in tow?

At a guess I'd say you're not a person who has to do the weekly shop for the family each weekend with kids in tow.

I wonder just how many of the folk on here who have constantly knocked Tesco on this thread actually do the weekly family shop?

From the last few pages - Roachmill, Auld Ramsie, Posiedon & Skyumpi all seem to have a strong opposition to Tesco or supermarkets in general.

Do any of you do the family shop each weekend with kids in tow?

You know its possible to have a problem with Tesco and their ethics and still have children to feed. I can't see why having to do a weekly shop with your kids in tow is a reason to forget objections you may have to the way a company operates.

More power to people willing to stand by their prinicples even though it's costing them financially. Stating I have kids and I must shop at Tesco isn't a reason to check your morals and beliefs at the door. The people you mentioned have their own reasons for not wanting to use Tesco and good on them for standing by them in the face of umpteen buy one get one frees and vouchers and all other manner of things Tesco and other massive corporations will use to make us forget at the end of the day they get richer at our expense.

The point I was making is that if you don't conform to the typical family shopper - parent(s) work all week, kids at school all week, Saturday is the day for shopping - it's a lot easier to have have the time to have and stick to these principles. Most families just don't have the time or it isn't a priority and this is where the supermarkets get the majority of their custom. The weekly shop becomes quick and convient.