Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Tesco are and always have been nothing special.

Their prices since opening have been so close to Co-op's prices that the only difference between the two is that Co-op are more Fair-Trade than Tesco ever will be.

So it's morally and ethically better to shop at Co-op, who take better care of their fresh suppliers, have a more characterful shop and a better selection of quality food.

Not to mention Tesco's lowlife cheating scumbag tactics of accepting Co-op's coupons. This show's Tesco infamous desperately disrespectful underhanded tactic of dealing with competition, whilst also destroying honest hardworking businesses around them.

Its up to the Shetland public now whether they will support their own friendly local businesses as well as balancing out shopping at Tesco or Co-op whichever is preffered, and everyone wins.

I just love the innocence of this wee post....."support their own friendly local businesses" many of which have been proclaiming high prices because of freight over all these years.

"Not to mention Tesco's lowlife cheating scumbag tactics of accepting Co-op's coupons"

Tesco has every right to offer it's customers as many deals as it chooses, if this means accepting a rival traders coupons so be it.... at the end of the day Shetland families win.

New Dawn in Shetland

New Dawn in Shetland

For God's sake, its a f****** shop, not the revolution (seem's Forvik is the nearest we're going to get to that), or the second coming! :roll:

Oh dear me, do you still not understand the impact that TESCO has on the trading profile of Shetland business's .......lol

New Dawn in Shetland

For God's sake, its a f****** shop, not the revolution (seem's Forvik is the nearest we're going to get to that), or the second coming! :roll:

Oh dear me, do you still not understand the impact that TESCO has on the trading profile of Shetland business's .......lol

I have tried Tesco's "basic" own brand food products, it was absolutely tasteless, I've tried their "regular" own brand food products, it was little better and the same price as the generic, and better tasted versions of the same products in my own local shop. Seems little point in paying £6-8 for fuel to get worse quality at the same price as what I can get along the road for 50p worth of fuel.

I don't buy anything apart from food from Shetland businesses, so my customer profile, and consequently my impact which may mould any change to any Shetland business's profile will be zilch. I don't sell anything in Shetland either, so little old tesco won't be bothering my selling profile either. What anyone else does, they'll just have to please themselves.

If you want to talk about impact, read your local history, the opening of the first Co-op supermarket circa '77 did that, the scale of change experienced then cannot be experienced again, there are simply not enough outlets or product lines out there for it to happen. You're entitled to believe whatever you like concerning Tesco's effect on other local businessess, but I've been wondering ever since this thread started, and am still wondering, just which local businessess those will be. So far, I have an extremely short list.

Your God and Saviour, the "mighty" Tesco can only, at best, copy and repeat on a much smaller scale what their competition did in style 30 years ago. I repeat, they are just a shop, no better, and no worse, and certainly no more Shetland's "saviour" than any of the other three who've occupied the same building before them in the last decade and a bit, or any other shop anywhere in the islands.

Worship Tesco all you like, but leave the happy clappy born-again-christianesque speil out of it, please....

Went in to Tescos over the weekend for a look. Drum roll please.... I was not impressed :wink: They didn't have the fruit I was after and the few other bits I was needing were all cheaper at the Coop. So off I went.

I was slightly unnerved by some of the staff, however. Helpful? Yes... but in a robotic, I'm calling you sir because I have to, kind of way. Having worked in retail many moons ago I've endured the company Gods booming down about how you must say this and that to every customer. It's demeaning to customer and employee alike in my book.

Thankfully my fears of being blessed by Salmon as I enter the shop were unfounded :wink:

Guest posiedon

From today's Scotsman.

'Misleading' Tesco adverts banned

THE supermarket chain Tesco has been banned from repeating two adverts that unfairly claimed its weekly shop was cheaper than Asda or Morrisons.

Consumer watchdog the Advertising Standards Agency, called in after several complaints, ruled the price comparisons were misleading and used an unfair selection of goods.

yep its just a shop. but think of the complaining if summerfield had not sold it to tesco's before being bought out by the coop. whould you rather have one retailer or two. the other options are no better morrisons didnt want to come up here that only leaves asda and trust me if you think tesco's is a nasty company lets get some good USA retailing in. Yep lets move asda into a greenfield site on the outside of lerwick and have a retailer that can compete against those nasty tesco folk. by the way ive always found the staff at summerfield/tesco to be friendly im not sure its been programed into them. they are really mean with their vouchers giving upto 33% off your shopping bill. yes i know it was just to get us in the shop, but its their money they are speding when they accept anothers vouchers. when i recieved my first dividend from the coop i was so impressed with the amount i had earned 1 pence. on tescos i was getting a hundred a year or so. we use both shops just like we did with summerfield.

All purchases excepting the usual:

* Baby milk

* Stamps

* National Lottery purchases

* Gift vouchers

* Phone cards

* Continuity Programmes

* In-store concessions

* PayPoint

* Newspaper delivery

I don't really know the ins and outs of the system but spending £~2k and getting 1p seems wrong whatever way you look at it.