Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I take it you weren't buying a board game?!

Co-op used to sell tellys and plenty other leccy stuff as far as I recall. It's been 18 month or so since I was in but I bought a telly there when I was. Well I was on a budget for my daughter, so... It's not just "the great Satan Tesco" that sell that stuff, so why does no one complain about that?

If you don't like it, don't shop there. I very much doubt the days coming any time soon when Tesco is the only bloody store on Shetland so stop over reacting. Let those who want to shop there, shop there. Let those who don't, not.

Personally I still resent the fact that 2 years ago a certain electrical store in a certain center charged me £35 MORE for an item than I would have paid on the mainland, where I later found out it only cost £40. I don't mind a small mark up but I do mind a rip off.

Since then I have learnt to check out prices and shop around. I don't care what anyone says, being on the mainland helps on keeping cost down. And whether it's CDs, DVDs, books, clothes or leccy stuff, I haven't found a site that is more expensive than Shetland prices yet. I never minded supporting local traders when I lived up there but I don't miss it now (or rather my wallet doesn't!!).

Strictly?

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Tesco-asks-59yearold-man-for.4968166.jp?CommentPage=2&CommentPageLength=10

"Tesco asks 59-year-old man for ID"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4933325/Mother-refused-permission-to-buy-wine-by-Tesco---in-case-she-gave-them-to-her-daughter.html

"A 46-year-old mother was told by Tesco staff that she could not buy two bottles of wine - in case she gave them to her 14 year old daughter. "

:)

The items we were going to buy was a trampoline with a swing and a seesaw suitable for our niece who's going to be 3 shortly. We thought at £55 this was a good buy and she'd get loads of toys she'd enjoy. I don't know the prices of these individually but they would probably be in excess of £55. I don't feel I'm overreacting to the cost of the delivery of goods when tesco are bringing up lorry loads of stuff every day. Yes a charge should be made but not £55. I still shop at tesco as I have made the choice to do that just as I made the choice not to pay the excessive charges to get a "bargain."

I wasn't getting at you hellsbells. Honest! It was more the ones that make out a supermarket is an evil entity intent on destroying all that is good in the world. It's a shop. If people choose no to shop there, they lose money. So they sell stuff cheaply, often tat, but so do asda, co op, morrisons and others. Maybe Shetland should get a Poundland? :wink:

I believe Lerwick Tesco are pushing to get the extra charge waived or reduced, however if that was the case then it would have to be across the board for all the other islands affected by this, so it remains to be seen whether this would happen.

At the moment it seems to be that items are 'small' or 'large' - basic UK charge £5, or 'large kitchen appilance' - £19. However, "No matter how many items you choose, whether large or small you only pay one delivery charge per order."

http://direct.tesco.com/help/deliveryinformation.aspx

For Scilly Isles, Isle of Man and Scottish Islands, there is a surcharge of £15, £50 and £36 for small, large and kitchen appliances respectively. In theory, you should be able to order any number of items for that £20 or £55.

There's also the possibility of a Tesco Direct desk in then Lerwick shop, but dependant on space in the extension.

I'm not hugely pro or anti Tesco - just asked a few questions. :)

We went into Harrys today to get/look for neices present. Only things we seen to get she already has and a small slide was £40. Smith and Harpers toy shop is moving to Bolts so never got anything there. Looks like we'll be heading to SBS to place an order in Argos. :( We didn't want or need anything else fae Tesco so unless someone we know orders something to share the cost we'll not be ordering anything. I was told to ask around to see if anyone would order at the same time to save costs by the staff at Tesco which I thought was a bit of a cheek.