Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I know what you mean, Deanman - after I'd left, I heard a lot of people complaining that Somerfield never had anything you needed on the shelves and it was getting completely stupid. It wasn't like it was down to cancellations of the North Boat either - it was simply the store manager refusing to order enough stock that was required. I know a lot of folk that I worked there with who left not long after I did, although for different reasons, and last summer a lot of workers left unexpectedly and they refused to take on anyone else despite this. However, the old manager was dismissed from his post and someone else took over after him. I'm hoping this means they've improved and I also hope it means Tesco will improve the place.

But indeed, a lot of folk reckoned it steadily went downhill when Somerfield came on the scene...

I don't think they will be allowed to sell clothes. Their building only has permission to sell a few white goods and mostly food. I think that will pass on when they buy it.

Could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time :D

When planning permission is granted, most supermarkets are restricted on the percentage of non-food items they can sell. As far as I know the same applies to both of the Lerwick supermarkets and the restriction will be passed on to Tesco - unless of course they apply to expand or have the restriction changed......

I cannot wait for Tesco to arrive - if indeed they are coming. I did not hear the radio broadcast mentioned earlier, and I cannot find anything about the takeover online - does anyone actually have any concrete evidence that it is going to happen?

It's confirmed they're coming to Orkney at least....

http://www.orkneytoday.co.uk/news_item.asp?newsItem=3525

I cannot wait for Tesco to arrive - if indeed they are coming. I did not hear the radio broadcast mentioned earlier, and I cannot find anything about the takeover online - does anyone actually have any concrete evidence that it is going to happen?

There was an interview with a Tesco person on BBC Radio Shetland last night which is proof enough for me.

- unless of course they apply to expand or have the restriction changed......

Which, were it to happen, would most likely end up in another Town Centre/Retailers Association driven SIC refusal Hodgie style appeals showdown - this could get very boring awfully quick.

If, or is that when, Tesco challenge any restrictions on their trade I rather think they are going to win although they might have to lodge an appeal against the SIC refusal if that is what SIC do. Remember Tesco are a huge multi national company with lots of experience in fighting planning refusals.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_03_2008/Tesco%20buys%20Somerfield%20store.htm

Tesco buys Somerfield store

Gavin Morgan

28 March, 2008

SUPERMARKET chain Tesco has bought Shetland's Somerfield store in Lerwick and given assurances that all 86 existing jobs will be secure.

Tesco said it had wanted to set up operations on the isles for some time. It had previously mooted building a brand new store, giving Lerwick three supermarkets.

The news that they are taking over existing premises instead of creating “more retail floor space” has been welcomed locally.

Small retailers are glad they will not have a third store to compete against, but fear Tesco might expand the superstore in Sound.

Shetland Retail Association chairwoman Janet Davidge said: “If Tesco are just taking over what is already here then it is fine. I think it has been already proven over the years that there is room for the two supermarkets.

“I know they have land there and it would be a different thing if they were going to double the size of the premises. I would be worried about our members if they did that.”

The store should transfer to Tesco around 12

May. Somerfield is to focus on smaller convenience stores hoping to open a further 250 across the UK by 2010.

Tesco's corporate affairs manager Doug Wilson said: “We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Somerfield to give Tesco a presence in Shetland for the first time. It will be great news for local people.

“We have been seeking to open a store in Shetland for some time and we are delighted that we are finally here.

“We shall be looking forward to working with our new employees in Lerwick to ensure that they benefit from Tesco’s market-leading personal development, pay and benefits packages.”

Local councillor Jonathan Wills said: “I am glad that the jobs can be safe guarded and very glad that there is not going to be a third supermarket in Lerwick.

“I think two is probably enough for a town of this size. There is competition between them and that is fine, but there is still room for smaller shops.”

Somerfield has also sold four other stores across Scotland including one in Kirkwall, Orkney.

Local MP Alistair Carmichael and MSP Tavish Scott have called for an early meeting with Tesco management to seek assurances that they buy local produce and support isles businesses when they take over.

[/url]

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_03_2008/Tesco%20buys%20Somerfield%20store.htm

Tesco buys Somerfield store

Gavin Morgan

Local MP Alistair Carmichael and MSP Tavish Scott have called for an early meeting with Tesco management to seek assurances that they buy local produce and support isles businesses when they take over.

If, and only if, they support local businesses, then, and only then, might I deign to put a foot over their threshold.

Yes but will they have the same problems as Somerfield trying to get a decent manager to move up?

I got offered a decent job in somerfield by one of the guys who got offered the job last summer, but he had to decline because his family refused to move up. Like I said the somerfield job became a long runing joke as NO ONE wanted it. My area manager even suggested I try for it when she found out I was moving up because they seemed to be offering it to ANYONE.