Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

If we had all the different shops on the mainland in Shetland it would stop the need for people going to the mainland on shopping trips. The money would be spent within Shetland which would help our local economy. Its more shops we need not less. Street traders banking large profits is south banks helps no one locally.

If we had all the different shops on the mainland in Shetland it would stop the need for people going to the mainland on shopping trips. The money would be spent within Shetland which would help our local economy. Its more shops we need not less. Street traders banking large profits is south banks helps no one locally.

Forget the notion that we should all remain and struggle to be loyal to the local shops in Shetland....those days are over...full stop.

Shetlanders have been ripped off for years.."Wow this is expensive"....reply so often heard..."Yes i'm sorry but it's the freight that has bumped the price up"

There will never be tumbleweed on the streets of Lerwick but times are a changing.

Can't wait for the Tesco V Local Garage Mogul profiteers when we are offered petrol and diesel at the same price as the mainland.

Tesco the best that has happened for Shetland locals in recorded history, no longer are we North Sea China Men.

Tesco the best that has happened for Shetland locals in recorded history, no longer are we North Sea China Men.

Better for Shetland than the oil era? Hmm.

For a speculative point. If Tesco succeeded in replacing all the local shops, would people be happy with the selection of goods available, particularly hardware and white goods?

^^ I think the big difference in Shetland to other mainland "Tesco Towns" is that a very large percentage of us wouldn't notice any difference if the Town Centre shops all closed because they have been effectively dead to us for years already.

I do always try local retailers first, and support our local shops on an almost daly basis for groceries, but I say "us" because if Tesco's were the only option for hardware and white goods, and what they had didnt suit my budget/requirements, I would simply do what I do now and order from south, whether that be internet, Argos, or whatever.

Despite what they may say, Local businesses can compete. For example, I used to order almost all my hardware from Screwfix, however over the past few years, Hays, the Building Centre(s) and Frank Williamson have lowered prices and increased their ranges enough that I haven't ordered a screw or fitting in I can safely say 2 or more years.

Not sure what the point is here, could you explain further?

To my mind if you walk down Union St, Princess St and Sauchiehall St the shops you usually find would be, River Island, Next, USC, Curry's/Dixons, Goldsmiths, Marks & Spencer, HMV etc. All of these retailers are either national or multi-national companies, there is a reason none of these stores are situated on Commercial St, competition!

There are only a limited amount of people in Shetland and I would imagine these companies believe there would be no point in them arriving here, kitting out a shop, paying rates and then making enough profit to justify them being here. I'm just speculating there by the way.

Too me would it not be more helpful too the young people of Shetland if the council were to reduce rates of these buildings and give the would-be business people a carrot in front of them to make a go of small retailing on the street?

How many of these shops are run by an older generation that have grown tired or disinterested now that retirement looms?

You see quite a few businessess opening and then shutting months after when they realise that they can't afford to run the building compared to what sales they may have.

Does Tesco acting as a one stop shop not discourage locals trying to open new shops when they face a probable daunting task of trying to compete with such a large company?

Just a couple of points there that might move the discussion on a wee bit!

ps Since when did Shetland have its own bank? :wink:

Shetland did have its own bank Hay & Co . Not the point i was making though, the profits from retail sales in shetland makes very little odds if in tescos bank or our street traders bank it still is no help for us poor peasants.

As for rates a lot of our street shops will qualify for small business rate relief Tesco will certainly not.

ps Since when did Shetland have its own bank? :wink:

I vaguely recall something about there being a relatively short lived one sometime in the 19th Century.

OTOH were the Charry Trust/Council likely to be competent enough to run such a thing, operating as a Bank, to a limited degree, could (have) be (been) as good a way of making the oil money work for Shetland as any. Scrub that though, given the way they have and continue to handle it.

There is nothing more I would love to do and that is to support our local shops.

I have lived in Shetland for 23yrs now, sadly a good handful of our local shops are still the same now as they were then.

There are a lot of things Tescos do that are wrong, like the article Greenpeace have just come out with www.greenpeace.co.uk 'Pulping the planet', I don't want to support that and it seems neither does Tescos, so they are working with Greenpeace and moving forward.

We life on a Beautiful Island sadly with little choice of shops, I ask you Lerwick Town Centre Association to up your game and move forward, do something that will make me and others want to shop local.

Buy local I hear, support the local shops, think of the aftersales service!!!

I bought local, I supported the local shop, I paid more for it, even including the difference it would have cost to ship. Did the aftersales service I received make it all worthwhile? Did it heck as like!!! Item broke down, extra warranty cover was in place, engineer was fast enough to come out to see what was needed to put right and shop no doubt have claimed for the call-out, part has been ordered and delivered to repairer in town over a week ago, yet I am still awaiting the engineer to head out to fix it! Have been told, next time he is in your area!!! If they treat customers like this I shan't be back. I'll buy cheaper south with warranty and still get naff after sales!

Perhaps I'm missing something, but with all the talk recently of the "we'll keep a close eye on them" etc, we were along Tesco's today (mainly to visit the cash machine, and had a look in to see what was going on) - they are already selling clothes, TV's, Vaccum Cleaners, Microwaves etc. Not just in the small space where they always sold small TV's and DVD players etc, but in the main isles.

Bumped in to a friend who lives in Nederdale and she said they had been doing so for at least a week, as they bought a TV last weekend.

So perhaps instead of giving press interviews/releases, maybe they (planning, or whoever) should actually try doing something?

In the meantime - some nice bargains to be had :wink:

We all better get to tesco tommorow for the bargains before the lerwick mafia shuts them down. Dont know why tavish blethers on so much about fuel prices when food and clothing is a bigger issue maybe time he took on the street traders? Cheap fuel would be good too though.