Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I am not sure about that George it does not make it clear on the website but as Joannie says im sure the raw spirit is imported as is there whisky and it is watered down to the required % content and flavoured

i know they import the whisky but i seriously hope they don't import the spirit for making the gin otherwise that would be as much of a con as the blackwoods gin

Edited by magnie ii

A couple of comments regarding distillation and use of their stills here.

Shetland Reel Gin & Whisky

They import the natural grain spirit so no they do not distill it on Unst rather they re cook it adding ingredients so yea bit of a con really http://www.ginfoundry.com/interviews/stuart-nickerson-shetland-reel/

wow so its true they don't make it here just flavour it thought they would be better than blackwoods but obviously not

Why do crofters and farmers fatten up there lambs, when we are told to eat less fat .Surely lean animals should fetch the better price.

Roasting a leg of lamb one probably pours a good couple of pints of fat away. How much actual fat percentage ways get thrown away .Money wasted buying fat we do not want.

Of course I know the more weight the better the price to the farmer, that's what it is all about.

Does Tesco even stock their 'Everyday Value' basic range up here any more? Granted the so-called 'food' products were of a quality I'd neither buy nor eat, but it had its uses for things that not even Tesco could destroy, like kitchen/bathroom paper, salt, soap etc.

One by one though, each of those have disappeared over the last months on their website, either vanishing from it completey or being permanently unavailable to Shetland shoppers. Leaving folk either having to buy an alternative from their standard range, which typically costs more than double of the basic range, or do without. A nice little earner for them off a captive market.