Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

^^ Somerfield were delivering to an at least 25 mile radius (unless of course someone had nicked their van and was just running round in it :lol: ), so Tesco are going to be offering one aspect of service that's poorer from the get go if they will only come 6 miles out.

With everyone getting hung up on prices and delivery etc have'nt we all forgotten that a little bit of inconvenience and slightly higher prices is a small price to pay( no pun intented!) for Island life? i.e low crime ....when was the last time we had a fatal stabbing/ shooting/rape/bomb going off?

I am quite happy to pay a bit more and wait a bit longer for my goods if it means I can life in a safer community.

• 2 weeks later...
In a press statement, Tesco said that "positive discussions" with locally based food suppliers are continuing, with assistance from the council and other parties.

the above was in the times online

after speaking to a few local suppliers that have had "discussions" there was not much "positive" about them

Maybe if Tesco do not use local suppliers that will be their (Tesco's) loss in as much as local products can encourage people to shop in local shops. What I really hope does not happen is Tesco only allowing local producers to supply them at prices that are unrealistically low. Or I think what i really hope is that local suppliers will refuse to supply Tesco at low prices. Then at least local shops will be able to sell local products without seeming really expensive compared to Tesco.

If the malevolent super-dooper anti-local ballistic corporation shuts down local shops, who can you blame? The Shetland public, not Tesco. If people choose to shop there, they know that they are not benefiting local suppliers. Tesco doesn't make people shop there, (most) people are in need of money and will therefore shop at where they will spend least, regardless of the impact.

Guest Anonymous

^^^^From that statement I assume that there is no member of your family who relies on a job in a local shop for a wage. Or no member of your family who produces goods which Tesco will only buy at a price below production cost, when they have closed down the local shops.

But there are many people on this forum who do depend on local shops for their wages, and many people who will be adversely affected by Tesco's buying policy.

So have a little thought for other people,, Please.

JAS is only pointing out that Tesco succeeds in doing what it does because people shop there. If folks eschew Tesco and continue to shop in the local shops then there will be no problem. But will they? Likely not.

So, is the fault Tesco's, or the people who choose to shop there?

I just saw something quite amusing.

Tesco seem to be using the LESS building on Commercial Road as a recruitment centre. There is a poster highlighting the many benefits of working for them. Item 2 on the list is: "Free uniform" :-)

I just saw something quite amusing.

Tesco seem to be using the LESS building on Commercial Road as a recruitment centre. There is a poster highlighting the many benefits of working for them. Item 2 on the list is: "Free uniform" :-)

It just goes to show you do get something for nothing. Seeing as you're working for them the uniform isn't free really, if you finish after a week they'll deduct it out of your pay I have no doubt.