Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Guest posiedon
I think that those who are against Tesco SHOULD organize a protest against it when it opens its doors. Why not? Clearly you are all right and Shetland is guaranteed to fail.

It's great to make people aware of the so-called killer Tesco on here, but really, you should be going out and informing the general public. If this really will be as bad for Shetland as you think it will, then surely its your duty to 'protect' Shetland?

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Have you been offered a job by any chance?

I'm sure the general public are well aware of Tesco's trading standards (or lack thereof) and so don't need me to go waving banners.

I look forward to what all you pro-Tesco folk have to say six months down the line.

I, and others on this forum, have seen first hand what Tesco does to small towns, do you think we're making it up? Perleeeease!

Somebody from Tesco must surely be reading this thread? Why do you suppose there has been no input from them?

Probably because there are so many well documented instances of their malpractice, they know they would get their ass kicked.

Somebody from Tesco must surely be reading this thread? Why do you suppose there has been no input from them?

Probably because there are so many well documented instances of their malpractice, they know they would get their ass kicked.

More likely probably because they have better things to do with their time. I lived in an area with Sainsbury, Tesco and Co-op all in a few miles radius along with many, many independants surviving without a problem. I am not saying that Tesco are angels, but just that the situation in Shetland is a very different kettle of fish.

Have you been offered a job by any chance?

I'm sure the general public are well aware of Tesco's trading standards (or lack thereof) and so don't need me to go waving banners.

No, I haven't been offered a job and I will not be working there.

I look forward to what all you pro-Tesco folk have to say six months down the line.

And I look forward to seeing all the Tesco critics shopping in Tescos six months down the line.

Blame the public, not Tesco. Where did Tesco get themselves to where they are today? People shopped there.

Imagine if everyone in Shetland boycotted the Supermarkets and started doing all their shopping at Bolts. Bolts would be too small for this and would have to expand in order to fit everyone. Any the cycle begins.

I'm not just defending tesco for the hell of it, I'm pro-freedom, and I believe that Tesco has the right to set-up in Shetland, however I equally believe that if the majority of Shetlanders do not want Tesco, they can vote with their feet and Tesco's will collapse on itself. The latter will not happen.

Foords_Chocolates wrote:

This will not stop me buying a newspaper at Leslies, a sandwich at one of the sandwich shops or toiletries at Boots though,

I don't think that Boots are local.

They're as world wide as Tesco.

Try Laings or even Harrys.

I, and others on this forum, have seen first hand what Tesco does to small towns, do you think we're making it up? Perleeeease!

Someone from Tesco's reading this forum, get real.

I'm not pro-Tesco but I do believe in giving people the chance to choose where they want to spend their money.

If as you say, the 'general public' are well aware of Tesco's behaviour then presumably the store will fail pretty quickly.

Just how many of the contributors on here actually do the weekly shop ith children in tow?

For the average family who are looking to make the weekly shop a bit more bearable, maybe find something different or save a bit of money Tesco's will be a welcome addition to the town retailers.

p.s. keep this to yourselves chaps, but apparently there's something called the I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T where you can buy things without leaving the house - like I said, keep it to yourselves though, if word gets out there'll be riots in Shetland :shock:

The arrival of Tesco in Shetland is the best thing that can happen for the isles population....we have all been ripped off for years with the "It's due to the frieght" claim for high prices or it's more expensive because "I want a big Merc. as well to drive round and around the town" from beer to TV's and every thing in between we have paid over the odds.

Fair trading should start at home.

Price of petrol/beer in Shetland has tried to be justified " Daddy Cow Poo " we are not stupid, the price of a pint is more in Lerwick than it is in the heart of Edinburgh......oh of course FRIEGHT....(ask the breweries if the isles pubs pay more per barrel than Aberdeen pubs).

Da Da

Hi,

Personally once the novelty value has worn off a bit those that do want to shop at Tesco will and I would say good proportion will return to the local shops :wink:

I at present live in a village down south but have Tesco,Asda,Morrisons,Iceland,M&S AND Sainsburys all within striking distance,my nearest town is smaller than Lerwick shop wise,none of the shops really close because of these supermarkets,they closed for the lack of variety and too many shops the same eg 2 shops selling handbags etc.

The shops that did not close were individul with good old fashioned service as these are doing well.

Now as a family of 6 children it would easier for us to do a weekly or monthly shop at Tesco,but actually I prefer the meat from my local butcher

who I actually find cheaper and his quality cuts superb,I also buy veg from the farms that I 'm lucky have around me as well as growing our own.I do buy some products form supermarkets like giant size washing powder and some cleaning products buying in bullk as its practical for us.

I will admit that Tesco and Asda do pretty good clothes for just knocking around garden etc for children and adults,but I also like to be able to buy better quality from individual shops from time to time for ourselves.

Now we are moving up to Shetland I thought Lerwick was lovely :D Globe butchers will be perfect for our family meat needs and cannot wait for the Shetland lamb and fresh fish not from Tesco.I'm also looking forward to tatasting/buying chocolates from Unst and generally using many of the local shops.

To us I realise Tesco will not be a novelty and I'm looking soooo forward to popping into Lerwick or out and about at the individual shops that Shetland has to offer.

I think its always good to have choice but to be honest for quality especially with food you cannot beat your locals and the message will come back home to roost.

Silvercloud :D

Hi,

Please remember Tourists can shop in supermarkets anytime its not a novelty, when they come to Shetland ,like we did for holidays I wanted to buy local and see many different individual shops its nice to see quirky little shops selling products that are unique to Shetland like the fudge and saop company etc I could spent a fortune :wink: .Its these indiviual shops Tesco will never be able to compete with if you like something diffrent and unique. :D People don't come to Shetland to just shop at Tesco they can do that home :wink:

Silvercloud :D