Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Silvercloud - the last thing on my mind these days is tourists - you do realise that people actually live here?

With the cost of living in Shetland spiralling - I gladly welcome any supermarket that can offer the people of Shetland a bit of a break.

In fact I am going to have a "Welcome Tesco's" barbeque... neh neh neh neh

:shock:

P.S.

and fresh fish not from Tesco

They buy in much of it locally...

Silvercloud - I agree with you on local meat. It might seem more expensive, but from the local butcher you're getting free better quality and value for money.

I think that Tesco's is great for tourists, as whenever I'm backpacking across Europe, I always ask where the cheapest supermarket is to buy stuff.

Hi,

I realise that tourism is just one small part :wink: But to be perfectly honest I shop locally now even if it means from a local butcher where I maybe paying a bit more to have quality,then we eat less meat as a whole to afford it ,probably better health wise to cut back anyway too much red meat etc.

So I will buy my meat like lamb chop and pork etc from the butcher.

Tesco I'm sure will be fine for somethings however I buy local now where I can and I can't see me not when we are living on Shetland.

I'm not saying don't have choice,but for some things, I personally for certain cuts of meat I would not buy from Tescos.Things like my washing powder yes I would .

Silvercloud :D

Foords_Chocolates wrote:

I don't think that Boots are local.

They're as world wide as Tesco.

Try Laings or even Harrys.

I think the post you were replying to referred to Bolts and not Boots.

Bolts are of course certainly local (a business that has diversified over the years from a motor garage, transport operator etc to a fairly large retail concern....a perfect example of how I'm sure other local businesses will react to the competition that Tesco may or may not provide!) :?

While we're on about tourists and shopping...

At least when Tesco's open the tourists who arrive on liners on a Wednesday will have somewhere to shop.

A few years ago it took the tourist board to go around the 'local' tourist type shops virtually begging them to open for the liners that came in - make of that what you will :roll:

if tesco or the co op were to employ helpfull and well mannerd staff

I know it's a bit off topic but I often amuse myself when I go into the Co-op (no offense to anyone really but...) by imaging that there isn't a warehouse in the back - it's where they grow the staff in giant bio-pods like on the film "The Island" http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1133353216/tt0399201 and they're preprogrammed with only certain phrases and facial expressions.

One has to compensate for the lack of helpful staff somehow - it's not THEIR fault, they've been grown to be like that.

:lol:

Have you been offered a job by any chance?

I'm sure the general public are well aware of Tesco's trading standards (or lack thereof) and so don't need me to go waving banners.

I was approached in the street today by a Tesco representative and offered £30.00 if I would go to a meeting on Wednesday night to support them.I refused,now my view of Tesco has changed for the worse. I cannot remember the venue of the meeting, I was so flabbergasted at being offered money.

Has anyone else been approached?

Why don't you all stop wittering on about Tesco coming to Shetland; now Somerfield has gone we need another supermarket.Why should Tesco be any worse than any other? Give them a chance before you start whining about how they are 'destroying' the community and spelling doom for the small retailer. After all if we don't get to buy food we'll all die anyway!

I did my shopping between both supermarkets and my local shop.

After Tesco opens I will do the same.

But as a member of my household is employed by Tesco we will be slightly better off, because the "evil" Tesco pays a pound more an hour than Sommerfield did.

I am getting really fed up with the "retailers association" protecting their own asses.

Instead of trying to stop new businesses, they should be lobbying the council to reduce their exhorbatant rates .. which is why their prices are so high on the street.

We had the same carry on with Boots and Hodge, so I for one am very bored with the same old scaremongering

I was approached in the street today by a Tesco representative and offered £30.00 if I would go to a meeting on Wednesday night to support them.I refused,now my view of Tesco has changed for the worse. I cannot remember the venue of the meeting, I was so flabbergasted at being offered money.

Has anyone else been approached?

Sure it was a bona fide Tesco guy and not some wind up merchant?

Not been near the street, or the toon for that matter to have had the opportunity to be approached.

Was it three crisp fully dried ink tenners that were up for grabs, or something gimmicky and useless like £30 of money off coupons in the store once it's open, 90+% of them on stuff you were highly unlikely to ever either need or want?