Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Sounds as if Auld Rasmie still has a vested interest in one of Shetlands local businesses

Well maybe he's no the only one with a vested interest Salmon. At least his may be in a local one.

local business owners have been driving Mercedes, BMW's and Porches for years plus owning holiday homes abroad, claiming the prices are high in Shetland because of the freight, times are changing, a big thank you to TESCO.

And the Tesco "owners" drive Fiats and go for a weeks holiday once a year in Blackpool? I think not :roll:

The car park was absolutely filled, knowing that i'd already have to fight through squillions of people I entered the spangly bright new store with hesitant anticipation.

As soon as I stepped foot into the store I was blasted with some fan air, twice as if by initiation, and was transported down south. The whole store looked huge inside from the foyer. It was bright, the shelves reached the roof leaving limited sightings of the product directions and so I wandered around in a daze until I found what I came for.

I feel that everything has been crammed into one shop, with very limited choice and some not too bad prices. Somerfield managed to present their stock better. I still don't think Tesco should expand because there was enough to feed the tight-fisted soul.

I also took my old faithful Co-op reusable bag and received a couple of amused glances.

My conclusion is, there's not much difference but price between the two and that I'd more than likely still grace the Co-op with my presence all the same as Tesco.

I was surprised that even though the aisles are narrower it wasn't too bad to get round, considering the amount of people.

It's always difficult going round a new store trying to find things, but managed to find lots of yummy different stuff at a reasonable price * that diet will have to wait again..

Straight to a checkout with no queueing :shock:

So all in all not as painful as expected, what more can one ask..

^^^ Well pointed out tLady the aisles are narrower but there is some things in Tesco that I have been trying to get the coop to get in for the past 2 years with no luck so I will be back at tesco on friday for my main shop but don't take my word for it go and check it out for your self

Hi,

I'll have to wait til October :D

I was in Shetland 3 wks ago :D which was obviously too early for the opening I was just curious.

It doesn't sound all negative then since its 1st day and obviously going to be busy as people want a nosey to see ll the fuss ,so i'll guess on a more average day in a month or so if aisles are narrower than last store it not going to pose any real problem considering they managed quite well today with the numbers.

Silvercloud

Went to the Tesco car-park which was full with few spaces, had a panic attack remembering supermarkets south at Christmas with similar parking scenario, so went to an empty Co-Op instead.

The Co-Op could have made the most of its moment or thought to try and keep its faithfuls, but instead there was absolutely no evidence of any price cuts or saver deals just signs on shelves telling us that their prices are lower with no actual evidence or comparisons.

So, I think once the dust settles abit at Tesco, I shall take the plunge and see what like.

Cheryl Hughson said that there was limited choice in Tesco today and that Somerfield presented their stock better?? that wasn't the shop i went round. At last a decent range of fruit and veg not festering in it's own juices, efficient friendly staff, two x £5.00 off coupons as you enter, free resusable bags, no need for plastic any more!, much better range of organic goods than i expected, not forgetting a store guide to help you round.

Big choice of toiletries, vitamins etc.

The Somerfield up here was a million light years behind this store and as far as the co-op goes the less said the better.

Roll on the extension and the fuel station with it's discounts on petrol and diesel, plus more points on your club card!!!

Guest posiedon
was in the Perth branch of Tesco yesterday and with my till reciet got coupon for 5p of every litre of petrol or diesel bring it on i say.
I would be willing to bet my pension that there will never be a filling station at the Lerwick Tesco, forget it :D

In the event I was proved wrong, I still wouldn't shop there, for reasons I and others have already stated.

A good day to shop in Co-op I would say. Five cars in the car park as I drove by to Tesco.

Well Tesco is certainly an oasis in the desert. It has a modern look rather than that grubby 70s look of its competitors. The store is bright and the shelves are stacked to the brim. The place was heaving even at 8pm. I know that wont be the way every night. Thank (insert your god here) it wont be like this every day.

The range of products seems wider than before and some of the prices are stunning, especially where there is a Tesco home brand alternative. The little touches like free bags for life impress as much as the speed at which you get through the checkout.

Yes, Tesco will certainly be my supermarket of choice. I wish them the very best of luck in bringing us choice and some much needed competition.