Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Tesco store bans shopping in pyjamas
The Tesco branch in Cardiff's St Mellons has clearly had enough of barefoot shoppers wandering the aisles in their pyjamas, and has ordered customers so dressed to cease and desist.

According to the BBC, the store has posted a "customer dress code policy" notice reading: "To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)."

I don't know if this belongs in the WTF thread or no :wink: I cannae imagine there being such a volume of shoppers tripping round a shop in their pyjamas as to warrant a policy change. Maybe things are just different in Cardiff?

You think that's crazy? A teco spokesperson's response to a Jedi who refused to remove their hood instore.

Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood. If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they’ll miss lots of special offers.â€

dis is totally changin da subect! i havna looked at the whole 55 pages in this thread, so sumbody's likly already pointed dis oot..

when you tak up an offer whar you can buy two o da sam thing and save a couple o pence- it kindo makes sence ta buy more dan one. but when you're in tesco and they're offering a sneeky 'buy 2 for £2.00' when da price o one is 90 pence. da amount o' times am come across da likes o dat is unreal! kinda sneeky if you ask me!

dis is totally changin da subect! i havna looked at the whole 55 pages in this thread, so sumbody's likly already pointed dis oot..

when you tak up an offer whar you can buy two o da sam thing and save a couple o pence- it kindo makes sence ta buy more dan one. but when you're in tesco and they're offering a sneeky 'buy 2 for £2.00' when da price o one is 90 pence. da amount o' times am come across da likes o dat is unreal! kinda sneeky if you ask me!

I noticed that last week, i pointed it out to the pensioner i had out shopping, he queried the assistant and was told "that was the deal, take it or leave it".............nice.

Think how many more deals they'll be able to con out of their unsuspecting shoppers when the new extension opens........and they say they have their customers best interests at heart....Bo**ocks!!

this topic has been raised on Watchdog, do not assume that the bigger item/size is cheaper.

for instance for weeks it has been cheaper to buy 2 x 12 pouches of catfood in tesco,rather than the 24 pouches.

we have noticed it on many items,so check carefully.

When Watchdog asked the confederation of supermarkets( or some sort of supermarket body) they claimed this pricing was a series of mistakes...being cynical I am not convinced.....and they are all at it not just Tesco

It's not just a tesco thing.

Always check the shelf tickets - not that they're always right, price per 100g is always an eye opener.

For some fruit and veg it can be twice as much to buy it prepacked or twice as much to buy it loose, no rhyme nor reason even when it has the same place of origin.

In most CoOps items that are on offer (e.g. bogof, 3for2) will become cheeper individually during the run of the offer too, with it's price rising at the end of promotion often higher than the orginal price. It was often how we could tell if someone had missed a promotion PoS if the price dropped suddenly on an item. One other Key trick is to stick Items you've been Overstocked with on "Ends" people will automaticly pick them up thinking they're on a "special", even when they're not.

this topic has been raised on Watchdog, do not assume that the bigger item/size is cheaper.

for instance for weeks it has been cheaper to buy 2 x 12 pouches of catfood in tesco,rather than the 24 pouches.

we have noticed it on many items,so check carefully.

When Watchdog asked the confederation of supermarkets( or some sort of supermarket body) they claimed this pricing was a series of mistakes...being cynical I am not convinced.....and they are all at it not just Tesco

Did you watch Thursday's Watchdog? They said the reason for the increased price of bigger items was because they had a lot of room left (as in air) and that x-ray machine was awesome because it showed Muller Rice, Gu and that cheesy paste and they said the amount of food left under 8.5% of room.

If you missed Watchdog, play it on iPlayer.

• 2 weeks later...
Why should the Shetland public exist just to line the pockets of the Lerwick town centre shopkeepers?

It's far too easy to point the finger and blame others for their own shortfalls, stocking some sensible products at a half decent price and employing pleasant, knowledgeable staff would be a start!

The Lerwick Mafia managed to oust Chris Hodge I hope the same fate doesn't befall Tesco's, it's about time Shetland had some choice!

Best thing that has happened for Shetland shoppers since Tesco opened will be the opening of the Tesco extension, even more good news to come for car drivers around the corner.

^

Totally agree. Many shops around here take advantage of being a monopoly. Hopefully this will finally force the prices of electrical goods down if Tesco start selling bigger TV's etc.

I don't think I've ever bought a computer game in Shetland whilst I've lived here. The £15-20 mark up is literally insane.

Best thing that has happened for Shetland shoppers since Tesco opened

Hardly! :wink: There is something even bigger and even better than even tesco Salmon. You used it to write your post above. And I'm not talking about rubbish PCs tesco sells either :wink:

Ooh err, the mind boggles. Now could it be Amazon, eBay, other online stores, or (shock, horror but oh yes please) Sainsbury's?! :wink:

Seriously though, I'm amazed that more small town shops don't open on Sundays/longer hours when cruise ships are in, folk and other festivals are on, etc.

^

Totally agree. Many shops around here take advantage of being a monopoly. Hopefully this will finally force the prices of electrical goods down if Tesco start selling bigger TV's etc.

This is in essence part of the problem. The likes of Tesco exert their monopolistic power to drive down the cost of consumer comparison goods to an unsustainably low level at the expense of both humanity and natural world. Unfortunately smaller retailers are also part of the system but do not have the power to influence the system.

As a society we seem so focused on paying the lowest price possible and say to hell with anyone else/nature.

Rant over! :shock:

^Cue the word "monopoly" to be used again to justify such practices in 3, 2, 1...

I'm no fan of a lot of the street based shops: they rarely have what I actually want, will take weeks to get it (if they'll even order it and take my money for it) and, while it may take fewer muscles to smile than frown, you wouldn't think it based on some shop "assistants" :wink:

All that said... shops shutting down in one area has a knock-on effect to those around it. I'd hate to see the street become a row of closed and abandoned shop fronts. Street retailers - it's up to you (and those of us that wouldn't give tesco our money if they paid us)!

^

I don't think I've ever bought a computer game in Shetland whilst I've lived here. The £15-20 mark up is literally insane.[/quote

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-10 years ago maybe but I can't understand how people still think local shops have a monopoly in selling consumable or non-consumable goods when the majority of people have access to the internetand have done for so long.

I truly believe that King of Funs statement and those like it are without foundation nowadays, certainly when your talking 'price'. If I'm wrong then give some examples, back up your posts! :D

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

[*** MOD EDIT - Thread merged***]

I have noticed that over the last few month there have been some 'interesting' pricing in Tesco's. Feel free to add to my list

Bell's Scotch Pies - Cheaper to buy 2 2-packs than a 4 pack

Tesco's own (coloured) toilet paper - per-roll, the 2-pack is the cheapest

Tesco Yoghurts - Special offer 4 for £1 (regular price - 25p each)

Grapes - Non pre-packaged are half the price

You can really save a fortune in that shop...