Asylum seekers

Styles

Do you think we should give asylum as we do?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should give asylum as we do?

• Yes
    • No

I love the way that the poor asylum seekers escapeing fae dir terrible places allways come to an island in da middle o da sea in Europe. As da charter says you should go to the nearest Country of safety. I dread to think how bad Ireland must be for them all to cross the boarder to the UK.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put yourself in their shoes, styles.

You like a crappy, disease infested town. There are no jobs. The only jobs are paid less than a pound a day. Now, you can come to the UK, and make your life better - would you?

They're no different from us because we're all trying to make better for ourselves.

But if u were in dire threat to your life would you go all the way from Africa to the UK or would u just go to safety? I have nothing against people escapeing to safety just find it strangley conveinet that "safety" is here?

As you say its all economics. they see we are doing good and want a bit of it, no wonder as greed and jealousie are one of humanities most endureing qualities, but I just hope that due to that it does not ruin us.

Styles, i think you're frequenting the front page of the tabloid too often to realize that the UK doesn't get any more immigration than Spain, Germany or France.

While I think we should allow immigrants in, I think we should be doing more in their countries so that they don't HAVE to come to Britain.

Styles, i think you're frequenting the front page of the tabloid too often to realize that the UK doesn't get any more immigration than Spain, Germany or France.

True, You should also make the distinction between immigrants and asylum seekers, I know there is a lot of merging and deception between the two.

While I think we should allow immigrants in, I think we should be doing more in their countries so that they don't HAVE to come to Britain.

Maybe we should be doing less in their countries so they don't have to go anywhere!

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that annoys me the most about the "Oh look, here comes Johnny Foreigner to steal our jobs and sponge off us" (often uttered by people who are quite happily sponging off the dole themselves) high-horse attitude is the sheer hypocrisy of it. Were the UK to suddenly become a 3rd world country, we Oh-So-Proud-Of-Our-Mighty-Nation Brits would be like rats off a sinking ship to wherever would have us, cap in hand and begging.

You can't blame anybody living in a 3rd world country for wanting a better standard of living. Some of them (probably most in my experience) are quite prepared and willing to work for what they get, some see Britain as an easy ride. Some are in very real danger of persecution, torture and death in their respective countries, something most if not all of us on this message board are very lucky probably not to be able to even come close to comprehending, even the ones who live in Mossbank. We've got a moral responsibility as a developed nation to provide help for people trying to escap from oppressive regimes.

I do think the government itself is guilty of handling immigration very badly, but hey, it keeps the right wing knuckle-heads too up in arms to notice what a mess they're making of the NHS and schools. How convenient eh? Blame the goverment all your want, but if you ask me it's laughable to blame the asylum seekers themselves, we'd be no different in their shoes. I think anybody who says different is full of more s**t than your average cup of Sudanese drinking water.

The country needs immigrants, of course it does. However, you have to draw the line somewhere. Current levels of immigration are simply too high, and you will notice that if you live in over populated parts of England or the Central belt.

Asylum seekers shall come to the country that's a guarantee and so it should be the case. But there is nothing wrong in saying a great deal of these 'asylum seekers' are only here for a free ride. It's a fact.

However, the left wing headline (including the BBC), of 'getting tough on asylum seekers' is completely unwarranted. It's actually getting tough on those who are not genuine and are therefore illegal immigrants. There is nothing wrong with that. A country must be able to control its borders for the people within.

The country needs immigrants, of course it does.....

.....It's actually getting tough on those who are not genuine and are therefore illegal immigrants.

Exactly, I've met a lot of people on the mainland that have come to Britain and are more then happy to do the jobs that aren't being filled by the british un-employed. These hard working folks are to be welcomed and to an extent, encouraged.

Having said that, I do wonder why people are travelling thousands of miles to land on our shores, just to throw their hands up, claim persecution in their homeland and ask for 'help'. If they were truely fleeing for their lives, they would stop when safe not hide in containers for days on end to sneek past customs. I have no problem with people wanting to live in Britain (or Shetland for that matter, but thats a different story) so long as they come here legally and support themselves when they get here.

Economic immigration is a whole different kettle of fish to asylum seeking. Someone from Britain cannot just move to the US or New Zealand, etc because they like the economic situation there, you have to go through a vetting procedure and try to amass points to prove you can contribute to society i.e. bring something to them that they do not already have.

Britain should have and probably does have some kind of similar system. The way I see it is asylum seekers should be deported to the nearest 'safe' country and those trying to move here to enjoy our economy should go through a vetting system.

You like a crappy, disease infested town.

Nope, and that's why I avoid Glasgow.

Seriously now...

I heard on the radio yesterday that the latest plan by the Home Office is to contact those who are about to overstay their visa via text message. Very nice...

It just confirms how completely feckless the Home Office are.

Any asylum seeker who is planning on staying in the UK isn't going to have their mind swayed by a text message from the Home Office. That's assuming they haven't done something completely ridiculous like...BOUGHT A NEW MOBILE PHONE...OH NO HOW COULD THEY!!!

As a genuine low cost way to remind visitors that their visa is about to expire, and if they want to stay then they need to renew it soon, I see now great harm in this. I am sure that a proportion of people do forget and as long as this is used as one way to remind people alongside sending a letter to their last known address it seems reasonable idea.

After all we get reminders about lots of things like our insurance renewal so what exactly is wrong with the government sending texts?. Nicely worded of course.

After all we get reminders about lots of things like our insurance renewal so what exactly is wrong with the government sending texts?. Nicely worded of course.

The problem, I suspect, is that the folks who genuinely forget are few and far between. The other categories of people are those who are trying to deal with the Home Office but being passed from pillar to post and would find such a reminder offensive; or those who are trying to avoid leaving the country.

Neither of these latter categories are going to benefit from a message and yet form the bulk of problem immigrants.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the latest plan by the Home Office is to contact those who are about to overstay their visa via text message. Very nice...

Johny Foreigner, perhaps already struggling with the complexities of the English language, gets a txt saying, "ur visa 4 gr8 britain expire sn"? That's gonna help :lol: