Tree planting in Shetland

Guest Anonymous

Shetland is overrun with wabbits, so you must always protect your trees.

And also keep grass from taking over, young trees can,t compete and will suffer.

On average it takes about three years for trees to become established, once this has happened they become more tolerant to salt laden winds.

If on a exposed site , wind break protection makes all the difference.

Choose the right tree for your location, and don't by crap trees.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on the nature of the tree. if they are like hazel and willow they should put out new growth any that are single trunks like oak and conifers are dead.

unlink they would be rather under worked the amenity trust seems to do some tree work. but for two year old trees its going to be cheaper to replace them. maybe get slightly larger ones and as others have said bunny rings.

thanks everybody, especially Paulb. The trees I planted were different ages and sizes and the tallest rowans are about five feet. Some of them have netting around them, but probably not high enough. The rabbits got over it during the snow. Do you know if I can cut back the rowans and white beams? I've cut the willows back already.