Tree planting in Shetland

Guest Anonymous

Geordie Hobbin has a plantation up by his hoose at da brig o waas , Doesnt look very big fae da road but its quite impressive when you're up at it. The point being if trees can grow there on what is essentially a stoney crappy and very exposed pairt o shetland den surely dey could grow ony place :?:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mum bought up a little Oak tree that had appeared in one of her pots down south. Turns out my kids had stuck acorns in her pots before we moved and this little fella was going all out :)

It's in a pot at the moment and doing very well so I might be tempted to find a sheltered space for it in the garden next year. I know it's only the one but I don't recall seeing any other Oak's around?

• 2 years later...

[mod edit - joined to this previous thread that was buried in the shetland news forum]

Apart from the usual tree's ie Fuscia. floorin currant , silver beam what would be best for a gairden on a hill dat gets a aerts o wind ? We have tried all of the afore mentioned we hae a 5ft slatted fence a aroond gairden but da wind seems tae burn athin we plant !

Swedish whitebeam, downy birch, japanese larch, common alder, rowan, aspen, black cottonwood, alaskan willow and sycamore surrounded by flowering currant, rosa rugosa, daisy bush and winter berry for shelter.

Oak is rather slow growing but I have quite a few dotted among the rest.

Jeeezz... seems you guys like planting a lot of potentially invasive and non-native species up here :?

Seabuckthorn will thrive but will also spread like buggery and be just as much a nuisance to control over time. We had to use JCB's to remove it from infested sand dunes sooth.

Blackthorn, hawthorn, elder, dog rose and fushia should do well for a hedge up here, hardy, will grow pretty compact and you get flowers and berries for da birdies 8) Plant it in 2 rows a foot apart, 4 plants aside and off set each side.

Just make sure you fence it off with dug in chicken wire or tree tubes and put plenty of mulch around the hedge base and in the trench you plant them in and do it sooner rather than later.

If you're wanting to grow big trees quickly I reckon you need to move :lol:

We have to plant what is reccommended for the type of ground and climate. I can get seabuckthorn to grow here at all but the other species I mentioned all grow well. We plant native and Shetland grown species as much as possible but by trial and error have discovered what does thrive in this area.

What grew well in England/Scotland does not necessarily grow here at all.

Yeh I understand that Shetland is Shetland but I'm talking about planting on the NE coast where it's exposed and salt laden with wind burn, different soils though but composting and mulching can make up for that. The climatic conditions are pretty similar, just not quite as windy.

Just suprised about the recommnedation of the amentiy trust of so many non-native trees particularly outside the garden environment. I worked in conservation so I may be have a different view.

The list I posted was after a visit from Rosa & James many years ago now - James McKenzie being the 'tree man' with the Amenity Trust. It's amazing seeing that pic from amost exactly 2 yrs ago - the trees are far bigger now so they've fairly come on in 2 yrs but it's been good weather.