Evening Clubs/Activities

clockwatch

Hi all,

Looking to move into LK or surrounding area and just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of evening clubs actvities that might suit a guy (30) who is relatively sporty and just looking for things to do about the night to get him out of the house. Other than sitting in a pub.

So any ideas on some good clubs, activities to get involved in? Anything considered :)

Hi,

I think there is a squash club and if you are interested, I could pm you the phone number of someone who would know.

Also, there is the Film Club who meet on a Thursday evening at Scalloway Fisheries college to watch wierd and wonderful films.

There is also Lerwick Orchestral Society if you play any instrument and can vaguely read music. They meet on a Thursday evening at St MAgnus Hall, Lerwick.

That is all I know about. I am sure there is the football club and the sailing club and various others.

Good luck

Frances

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

With regards to the sporting activities mentioned are all clubs willing to accept beginners?

The film club sounds interesting. Is it a case of going and watching the film and then discussing it afterwards. Or is it just like the travelling cinema when you watch the film then disappear?

Musical activities are not really suitable - I love music but cannot play anything to save my life! Although would not mind learning the guitar but guess that would require one on one tuition and would likely be expensive.

Music - pity, we are always looking for new recruits!!!

Cinema - I am not sure whether they discuss afterwards, but some of them used to meet for supper first at chippie!!!! Here is a linkt to their website - it will have contacts! You don't have to be a member, but if you are, I think the films are cheaper!

http://www.filmclub.shetland.co.uk/

The film club sounds interesting. Is it a case of going and watching the film and then discussing it afterwards. Or is it just like the travelling cinema when you watch the film then disappear?

:D The 'club' part of the name does make people ask that question, but no, you toddle along to the Fisheries College, the bar at the main entrance is open so you can have a refreshment before the film and/or take your drink in to the film with you. All very civilised. Watch the film then leave, as the place is usually closing up then. Go home or go off to the pub! Oh, if the restaurant is open you could possibly eat then watch the film.

Cheaper if you are a member. Ah, looking at the website, I see it's changed since I used to go. Now you pay £30 for membership and a season of 16 films, which makes it £1.87 a film - not bad!! Members don't pay anything at the door. Guests pays £4.50 per film. Members are guaranteed entrance if they get there by 7.15pm for a 7.30pm start.

Hmm, makes me want to join again... Just a bit of a trek for me though.

there's also Choi-Kwan-Do in Clickamin - it's similar to Tai Kwon Do. They're very happy to accept beginners - their website is here:

http://www.shetlandckd.org.uk/

Have a look at some of the notice boards in Clickamin, they're usually pretty good for information.

If you're really brave, there was a climbing club on the go at one point - they used to hang off the cliffs at Eshaness of an evening....

Good luck!

The climbing club's website is at:

http://www.climbshetland.co.uk

To go to the club nights to use the wall (Tues & Sat), you would need to either prove competency or undergo a beginners' induction. You'll find details of all this on the club's website.

There's a running/jogging club sort of thing at the Clickimin track on a Wednesday at 5.30pm - just running/jogging a selection of distances as part of a group.