Hill Walker on Ronas Hill

Styles

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it is a testament to the well organised and funded rescue services in this country that some eejits take it for granted that someone will haul their ass off a mountain or hill when their in-built stupidity catches up with them and they get in a pickle.

As Styles says above, in some countries you have to pay for rescue. It is well known by folk in the know that quite frequently an injured Spaniard will be loaded onto a fishing boat which sets sail for UK waters, then once there declare an emergency which requires airlifting to the shore and -hey presto- free medical aid thank you very much.

To venture onto Ronas Hill in those conditions when so ill-equipped is a display of arrogance, ignorance and general tubism of the highest order. Someone should have a quiet word in his shell-like, and ask him for his PIN number to cover the cost......

Idiot.

This is a pretty rare event in Shetland but seems to happen the whole time on the Scottish mainland with people who are ill equipt, setting out in bad conditions or when the forecast is bad. Then getting in trouble and having to be saved. I think they should have to pay atleast somthing to the rescue effort, if it was not a complete accident, i.e setting out with right equipment, good forecast and they fall and break their leg etc, then it should be free.

In some other countries you have to pay for your rescue even if its not your fault.

The guy was really lucky someone saw his light, just heard the folk who saw him on the radio and it sounded like it really was just luck. Otherwise he would be dead.

What a plonker.

Why do folk do this, gets me goat!? Mr TA is firefighter but he knows some of the guys that do the mountain rescue. Some of the folk just don't think at all about their safety. Even if he doesn't have to pay anything he should at least donate something. Grrr :evil:

At 3pm yesterday afternoon I took 1 look out the window and decided that there was no way I was going outside and that if need be the wee dog could do its business indoors !

That idiot put 30 peoples lives at risk (his rescuers) and claims he is a celebrity here ?

I think I would be barred off this site for life if I put what I thought of him in this forum !, (** MOD EDIT **)

But - what on earth was he thinking of?

Thought, I fear, as in the total lack therof, was the singular largest contributory factor in this guy ending up getting stuck where he did....

That said, he's far from being the first person to move to Shetland and almost immediately undertake something considered by everyone as fool-hardy, life endangering, and costly in both time and money to the emergency services, yet go on to become successful and respected members of the community. One can only hope the "short, sharp shock" treatment has given him the same level of respect for our climate and terrain that most folks learn on a far shallower lerning curve....if not, he won't be so lucky ever again.