Hill Walker on Ronas Hill

Styles

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two points to add:

1. All life is worthy of saving. Even stupid people's lives. That's the bottom line. If a person who is inexperienced whith nature finds himself in over his head do you think he will be able to assess the risk he is in and weigh that against the huge costs he will risk if he calls for help? Most likely he will not call for help in time and die. Should stupidity be penalised by death? Let's take this principle one step further. The cost of paramedic and hospital services for victims of traffic accidents are huge. A large portion of accidents are caused by speeding, alcohol or general stupidity and inexperience. Should a person who doesn't slow down in rainy conditions, crashes and is severely injured be forced to pay for everything or risk not being rescued? He has also caused costs to the public because of his inexperience with weather or stupidity...

2. Also, if you see your tax money flying past every time you hear of someone needing saving: If we all had to pay for our rescues we would all have to take out insurances to cover all and any activity we might want to undertake. Who would then bare the costs of saving people? Insurance companies. Where do insurance companies get their income from? Each insured person. Insurance costs would be huge.

To take this further: We know from our car insurance that prices are differentiated. If you are 21, male and own a sports car you pay more because of the increased risk. In Shetland weather conditions and nature in general are harsh, rescue operations are expensive, many have professions with an elevated risk (fishermen etc.) and people do use nature for recreation. What do you think will be the cost of insuring a Shetlander as opposed to someone living in a small town in England?

So do you think making everyone or some people pay for their own rescue is good for Shetland? I don't think so.

The guy had hypothermia. It was pitch dark and the weather was horrendous . He made a mistake and nearly paid for it with his life. Can you imagine how terrified he must have been? And then we all turn around and say "I told you so" and call him a moron. The milk of human kindness seems to have gone just a wee bit sour around these here parts!

<--snip--> The cost of paramedic and hospital services for victims of traffic accidents are huge. A large portion of accidents are caused by speeding, alcohol or general stupidity and inexperience. Should a person who doesn't slow down in rainy conditions, crashes and is severely injured be forced to pay for everything or risk not being rescued? He has also caused costs to the public because of his inexperience with weather or stupidity...

Unless the NHS have changed their practices in the last few years, in which case I stand corrected, I have been told they Invoice the Insurance Company(ies) of drivers involved in road accidents for part/all of the cost of some/all of the services provided to the victims.

Can anyone connected with the NHS/Vehicle/Driver Insurance providers confirm/deny/fill in blanks on this?

The guy had hypothermia. It was pitch dark and the weather was horrendous . He made a mistake and nearly paid for it with his life. Can you imagine how terrified he must have been? And then we all turn around and say "I told you so" and call him a moron. The milk of human kindness seems to have gone just a wee bit sour around these here parts!

I think the reason for all the comments against this man is not due to the situation he was in, but in the circumstances that led to him being there in the first place. It's not so much 'I told you so' as 'I told you not to go', as allegedly some local people advised this guy against his propsed ramble.

I'm sure nobody would deny that he was both in a potentially life-threatening situation and needing medical assistance.

it was pretty much dark when he left and the weather was horrendous thats why people are saying he is a moron. people hardly wanted to step foot outside the door let alone go for a peerie wander up ronas hill! :roll:

....probably head out on a day like this then!

Anyone fancy a walk? I will be climbing Ronas Hill at about 16.30 for a couple of hours stroll....

F

I'd love to... but I'll be rowing to Faroe in my rusty old bath tub. Perhaps another time.

As for the "I told you so" thing - the guy put himself (and everyone else involved) in a life threatening situation for absolutely no good reason. Had he been a local the harshness of comments in the thread would, more as likely, have been be toned down a bit... but he's a numpty of the highest order and put folk in danger because of this. Reap what you sow.

EDIT: ^^there's room in my boat for 2 Twerto

[

F

Had he been a local the harshness of comments in the thread would, more as likely, have been be toned down a bit... but he's a numpty of the highest order and put folk in danger because of this. Reap what you sow.

/quote]

What is considered as the 'height of numptyism' in a 'Soothmoother is considered fairly normal for a Shetlander. The opposite should be the case.

Can anyone connected with the NHS/Vehicle/Driver Insurance providers confirm/deny/fill in blanks on this?

I can only speak as a driver. I received an invoice for an ambulance many years ago when my wife crashed the car - not her fault on this occasion. I forwarded the invoice to the insurance company.