Celebrity Rehab

Am I alone in being somewhat shocked that it was the main item on several news bulletins that Britney Spears was in "rehab", including recorded interview with someone who attended AA or NA with her?

It seems not so long ago that 'news' such as this would have been restricted to the tabloids but to see, notably, the BBC featuring this kind of story seemed quite sickening to me. What does it say about the ethics of UK media that the illness of a celebrity is perceived as entertainment?

Does anyone actually enjoy hearing this stuff or feel it is necessary news?

Story on BBC website

I certainly shouldn't imagine Ms Spears trip to rehab was the most significant world event of the day, no. But I'm afraid a lot of people are obviously interested in these type of things (look at the quantity of celebrity magazines such as Heat, Now etc etc, and their circulation) and the BBC is just sort of jumping on the bandwagon. They probably don't want to be accused of being 'behind the times', though they just end up 'dumbing down'. However I would say Britney's rehab is slightly less infuriating than the ubiquitous Doherty (Sorry Njugle!), as she is quite obviously having some sort of emotional meltdown, probably due in part to a lifetime in the spotlight. Whereas Doherty is just a tedious little man with little or no desire to do anything other than pay lip service to the courts.

I think both are well aware of the media interest in this kind of thing and going into rehab is really just an attempt to stay in the news when there is nothing much else interesting happening in their lives.

Maybe I'm being too cynical and they do both need help ? :?

Can I care?

There are thousands of people who go into rehab for a number of reasons, and I don't know any of them. I don't know Mrs Spears, and i probably never will. For people to say there is a public an interest, what does that tell you, are people interested because they, care about her? would like to help? Is it actualy her or is it her media image that you identify with? if you actually identify at all.

There are probably many pleople closer, geographically and socially, to you who are having problems. You even may be having problems. Would you like to hear about these people? would you yourself like to have this attention? Do you think this attention is helping her? Are you interested? Do you care?

So why should we be interested? Is this care? Should I stop?

I heard a few weeks ago that Britney Spears is the most googled search name. That is probably why BBC feel the need to respond. The main point I agree with Demascus is who gives a monkeys?!?!? You can just see her agents sitting around the table thinking of the best publicity, and morons around the world lapping it up by buying papers and magazines with 'Britney - her story' on the front. Hellish.

As far as I am concerned any so called celebrity is only as good as their last film, cd or whatever. And I do not care if they are in rehab, big brother or crying to get out of here.

Funny enough there are a few exceptions where my interest goes beyond their performance such as when I heard that Ms Spears had bought, was going to buy or was living in a house I once stayed in for a short time.

As strawb says about celebrities magazines, a lot people buy them, so presumably they want to know about these people. So I would call it "news" but I wouldn't call it "entertainment". I don't think that anyone is getting any pleasure from seeing Britney in a state, but they want to know all the same.

I don't really care about it myself, but if significant amounts of others do, then I suppose that is all the justification the BBC needs. I suppose they could put it on a different program and leave the news for something vaguely important.

http://evictor.eu/s/u/MerryChristmas/jesusnc.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21325065-2,00.html

(linked on another forum, made me laugh!)

Poor Britney; hope you sort yersell oot lass!

Poor Society (well, certain blocks of it); vacuous and forlorn that longs for individualised attention and "aren't you special" praise to help nullify the self-created vacuum people feel between their lives and those they see in the factual and fictitious media.

pootle celebrities! :wink:

...or something like this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...