Dodgy Insurance Quotes

Twerto

Thought I would share this with you..

Got home today to the usual mass of junk mail with one important letter in amongst it all. Turned out to be my Renewal Quote for my Car insurance.

Opened it up to see how much it had gone down as that was another year gone by with out any claims.. To Discover it had gone up from £357.84 to £455.16.. "hmmm" I thought to myself while stroking my chin.. I have had it stay the same before due to "increase cost of insurance".. but never gone up especially by a £100..

So I decided to go to this Insurance companies website. and go through the process of getting a quote online.. Same Company with the same details as described on by Certificate of Insurance.. and low and behold if I sign up as a new costumer I can get my next years insurance for £220...

<--- Stokes chin a bit more

I'll let you know how i get on after I phone them tomorrow.

Insurance quotes are always about trying to call your bluff, they give you a starting bid (a number that they know full well is more than they actually want) and hope you don't query it. Shop around or even just haggle on the phone with one company and your will always get a better quote.

Never accept the first quote, never.

• 7 months later...

We just got notification of our property insurance cost for this year - been with the same company for 5 years - no claims but they had increased the premium by £100. I phoned to query this. The reason for the increase was the flood claims in England had pushed all premiums up. As a gesture of good faith they would hold our premium to last years cost but after checking what else was on offer from other companies we found better cover for £350 less per year. Could be an initial offer to get new custom but will definately shop around next renewal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Insurance quote time again. My current company,Norwich Union Direct,sent a notice asking for £350-99. When I spoke to them on the phone they said they could only reduce the quote if I got a lower one from NUD by signing on as a new policy.

I finally decided to go with The Post Office who quoted £228-61 with one month free. Their insurance is provided by BISL who,believe it or not,are underwritten by Norwich Union Direct.

Robbers all.

My house/contents insurance went up about £1.50 each year but this year jamp up £40, I phoned EGG and said I would only pay for it if they did not increase it so much as the increases the years before had been so small and i had never used it. I thought they would back down, but didnt so cancelled it and got insurance with esure which was even cheaper than what I had with EGG in the past.