Where are you off to next?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to go somewhere. I'm a student, but at the moment can *kind* of afford it... and really want to go now while airfares are still kind of cheap. A few years down the line I reckon the price of oil will be so high than going anywhere will cost an arm and a leg.

*sigh*

Just got back from Amsterdam. It was soooooo good. We were right in da middle o' it aa, in among all the canals and the peerie auld streets and stuff. It wis so bonnie. It's meant tae be the graphic design capital o' the world, so I did a bit o an art gallery crawl while I wis there.

The Heineken tastes excellent there to. A bit too good actually. I worked out that I managed to drink 5 times more Heineken than any other liquid the whole time I was there :? . You should really watch fir that.

Also, you should only use your Shetland connection-making skills responsibly. I got tae keen a couple o bar staff in a peerie club that wis meant tae close at 2am. They kept it open til 6am fir aboot four o wis wan night. The next day wisna as much fun. Everybody wis so kind. And some o' them even kent where Shetland is!

Canna wait tae go back. Will hopefully get a chance in the summer.

A bonnie night -

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/416795816_3b365a7ba0_o.jpg

An example of what friendly people are like :lol: -

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/416795819_894a7731d4_o.jpg

Will hopefully be in Budapest this easter.

Was planning to get to St. Petersburg and Moscow, but entering Russia isn't straight forward. If you want to go there as a tourist you actually have to be invited by a government approved company, then you have to take out a special travel insurance which is approved by a Russian insurance company, then you have to apply for a visa by sending them documenteation of the previous points, a picture of yourself and your actual passport. Oh and just to make it more fun you can't actually send your visa application in the mail, you have to deliver it by hand. Oh and it costs 300 kroner (500 if you're British). And when you get there you are obligated to notify the police where you are staying! There just wasn't time for all that.

-Hello, I would like to spend my money in your country!

-No, hold on we're not so sure we want you to do that.

-But, I really want to!

-Well first you have to jump on one leg, bark like a dog, clap your hands behind your back and pay us to watch and laugh.

Furthest I'm getting this year is Madchester next week for a night with some mates and pick up a new car, then driving back up to Edinburgh for the weekend and going to my first DnB night in 3 years.. hopefully my withdrawal symptoms will keep me shaking in time to the beats :P

Catch up with a fair few more mats then head back to work the week after :(

• 3 weeks later...
Just come back fae Tunisia which was great

Do they not harass the tourists there?

I went to Morocco some years ago and we were constantly hassled in the street by the natives trying to sell us one thing or another. It was relentless and I said that I would never go back there.

London for a reunion but I am going to stay there for a bit over a week and I have been doing research into interesting things to do that are not part of the normal tourist route. Started looking on-line for things that interested me such as the museum of tea & coffee and a big old beam engine that is open for visitors just one afternoon a month.