Where are you off to next?

I went to Morocco some years ago and we were constantly hassled in the street by the natives trying to sell us one thing or another. It was relentless and I said that I would never go back there.

I had the same experience. One guy even tried to sell me one of those long robes with a hood like the Moroccans wear - claimed that I would not be hassled if I wore it! Eventually, I discovered that the best way to deal with it was to totally ignore the pests, not even speaking, definately not smiling, maybe just shake your head (No) at the beginning of each encounter. Beautiful country though, and friendly people if you got the chance to meet some that DON'T make their living fleecing tourists.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just come back fae Tunisia which was great

Do they not harass the tourists there?

I went to Morocco some years ago and we were constantly hassled in the street by the natives trying to sell us one thing or another. It was relentless and I said that I would never go back there.

Yeah we did get a fair amount of hassel esp in the Medinas vut eally its a way of life and you have to haggle too get a fair price but taken in our stride i have too say still a great country, and great too see the desert etc.

it did get too u a bit but a relaxing swim, lie by the pool all was forgotten haha. nah is a very nice county, i dnt think its as bad as ejypt well prob same amont of hassel but they can be more forcefull in some places still wouldnt let my gf go shopping alone!!

Just had a surprise trip too holland! now heading for sunny expensive norway!!

Having a week in Gozo in July.

Looks beautiful on the net, has anyone been?

Malta without the crowds........except that the crowds come over on day trips. Worth getting away from the roads to enjoy the peace Gozo offers. Limited nightlife but I guess you knew that when you booked.

Worth going over to Malta to spend a day in Valletta.......bus from the ferry terminal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just getting packed for a long weekend in Ignalina (still in Lithuania but near the Belorussian border).

The weather's pretty hot now 8) so I'm looking forward to a swim in the loch. I'm dreading the two hour drive though!

I like the country lifestyle here. We still draw water from the well and get our milk from the cow. Livestock is still used in many places for ploughing the fields and as a form of transport.

The bath-house is pretty neat as well. It's similar to a sauna, the only difference being that it is fuelled by wood. There's nothing better than having a good steam followed by a dip in the nearby loch!

If any Shetlinkers find themselves in Lithuania be sure to give me a shout.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to say hello because I can – sitting at a desk in a computer lab in a school in Seoul, South Korea, while the debaters are prepping for the next round of the World Schools Debating Championships. It’s warm and muggy and yesterday the rain was absolutely torrential. Scotland have won two out of two debates so far. We have not really seen anything yet except the hotel and classrooms but there is an all-day trip to the Demilitarised Zone on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

56 days till I'm here.

http://www.vivest.no/images_klmnop/maloy_089.jpg

http://www.scanamtours.com/images/NO%20images/fjordboat.JPG

http://www.comptoir.fr/imgproduits/PSNORXPRES-C01.jpg

http://www.campelen.no/common/images/bergen_bryggen.jpg

http://www.bugeurope.com/images/no-bergen.jpg

Furthest I'm getting this year is Madchester next week for a night with some mates and pick up a new car, then driving back up to Edinburgh for the weekend and going to my first DnB night in 3 years.. hopefully my withdrawal symptoms will keep me shaking in time to the beats :P

Circumstances taken a turn for the better Twerto? Looks lovely, where is it?

^^ you could say things have improved a lot in the last few months for me... ;) I am of to Bergen and Maloy for a couple of weeks in September. takign advantage of the last trip the norona will be doing.

@fjool yup from what i have heard a camera is a must :D