Where are you off to next?

It's been many years since I was in cuba, but found eating from the popular street stalls was a fraction of the price and far nicer than the tourist eateries. Things have changed since I was there so can't really give much advice, I played the stupid blonde tourist card, which got me out of a few scrapes, health service is fantastic and avoid air con.

spent most of our time in Havana

http://www.hotelnacionaldecuba.com/en/home.asp has a wonderful bar, and you meet the most interesting people in there (spy watching - lol)

and we used to meet up in http://www.hotelinglaterra-cuba.com/ for drinks before going out.

Most of the places we used to go to were closed down after the riots, plus we had government issued passes to go were others counldn't.

The camels were definately worth a trip, but when full were quite stifling. piccie below. Wawas are any bus smaller than a camel, not just minibuses.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Camel_bus_in_Havana%2C_2009.jpg

Don't know how bad the secret police are now, do remember to be careful when speaking politics, REMEMBER the blockade, simple things we take for granted are difficult and expensive to get for Cubans.

oh and when buying cigars and cigarillos check the packet and where they're made, many of the tourist shops will sell the cheaper European imports.

Finally, probably too late, remember to get a tourist insert visa, should be less a bother than it used to be, but it always makes it easier when passing through the States.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And enjoy this too:-

If you're on a tour, don't think that you won't get hot and that you'll be mega comfy on the small tour bus - you'll get sunburnt through the glass. The roads out in the countryside can be absolutely lousy with 8' potholes (yep, eight feet).

Cuba is relatively safe compared to other countries. Yes, you get beggars but nothing like the amount in other countries. As above, the healthcare is superb but they are short on basic medication for the locals. Toothpaste is always welcomed.

Bog roll is not your flash Andrex. Some hotels have the equivalent to el cheapo but when out and about you'll find the old Izal and it is rationed by the toilet attendant to a couple of sheets each.

Yep, the tourist visa - get in the UK (oops, Cuban Embassy in London) or fill in the card onboard the flight. The airport at Holquin is fine but if you are flying into Havana then I would get the suitcase shrinkwrapped - costs either a fiver or a tenner if memory serves me right. I've been in February and April - February was unusually lousy for Cuba and it rained but expect temperatures in excess of 70 deg F. Don't think you'll have a huge choice of essentials in shops like deodrant, sun screen - you WON'T. Also take lots of insect repellant because whilst the hotels spray each night, you will get bitten. Boots own brand tend to do high factor protection and their roll on mossie killer with deet tends to do the trick.

Damn it, sure you haven't got room in ya suitcase for likkle old me then? :wink:

Thanks for the comments !

I have now made a note to pack a few rolls of our quilted Andrex. I will have no problems with tobacco products as neither of us smoke and I am very much against the habit although, when in Cuba, I will certainly be intererested in the cigar industry as it is a big earner for the island.

We usually travel self-contained in terms of anti-midge sprays, lotions etc so we should be ok with that.

We are being transferred between most locations via state taxis so are hopeful that things will be well-organised.

We are flying via Paris airport in both directions and I had already thought about having the cases shrink-wrapped but doesn't that actually draw attention to the possibility that there are things worth nicking?

Mobile phone-wise, I am thinking of buying a £10 Tesco unlocked mobile and buying a sim card when we arrive at the Havana airport.

I appreciate the replies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hong Kong the other day now in Shenzhen China. Ive only seen a couple of push bikes every one driving round in big american cars so I guess it makes no odds how green we are because here they are going to keep on expanding at a phenomenal rate.

nice place though and fine folk

• 4 weeks later...

All very exotic....

This weekend - Blackpool! I know! :shock: ...Going for one of those "Red Letter" days where you get to do something out of the ordinary...Flying lesson for me and my mate. Making a weekend of it wi/ the lassies..

Salou in June

Cuba in September

Neither of which will be a patch on the "kiss me quick, stock-o-rock chip donkey riding " extravaganza of Blackpool this weekend!!!!