Would you rather see £100000 spent on India or Shetland?

Styles

What does issues concerning standard of living in India and improving it have to with us? India wasn't happy till they got independence, they've had it for 50+ years now, isn't it long past time they got their own house in order? Freedom to do what they like, yet still expect us to bail them out too, sounds awfully like having their cake and eating it to me.

If Indian citizens are really that needy, each individual is perfectly entitled to give whatever assistance from their own personal funds and time they feel like, but beyond that it should be left to at the very least between Governments to sort out, and very much preferably left to an international agency such as the UN, who's remit, I have always been given to understand, such things comes under.

One or two individuals rifling the public funds of a few for their own pet projects is completely out of order.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Sludgegulper things all the poverty in India is self inflicted. When was sludgegulper last there to see it? I'm going next year, paying for it myself and taking annual leave. Care to joine me?

I said that 'most' of it in India is self inflicted. not all of it. This no doubt applies to other countries as well. Those with all the money live a life of luxury while the poor get poorer. Yes, I do sympathise with them but it is bought on by the governments of the countries involved. This is why I am objecting to £100,000 that our councilors are going to waste. £100,000 will not make any difference at all. This is why it should be spent on our elderly relatives. This also applies to any further money that the council would like to waste.

Good for you for taking annual leave & going to India although what this has to do with this thread I do not know. I hope that you have a nice holiday. Send me a post card.

What does issues concerning standard of living in India and improving it have to with us? India wasn't happy till they got independence, they've had it for 50+ years now, isn't it long past time they got their own house in order? Freedom to do what they like, yet still expect us to bail them out too, sounds awfully like having their cake and eating it to me.

If Indian citizens are really that needy, each individual is perfectly entitled to give whatever assistance from their own personal funds and time they feel like, but beyond that it should be left to at the very least between Governments to sort out, and very much preferably left to an international agency such as the UN, who's remit, I have always been given to understand, such things comes under.

One or two individuals rifling the public funds of a few for their own pet projects is completely out of order.

Exactly!!!

This was money which the council decided would go to help the people of Tamil Nadu in the aftermath of the Boxing Day tsunami. As long as the money came out of some part of the council funds that will not result in service cuts or a hike in the council tax I can see little to object to.

As I understand it the council wanted to ensure that the money was well spent and to develop a relationship with the area that would endure long after the money had gone. As for Cllr. Ratter's trip to the area I rather suspect that it was not the enjoyable "freebie" that some of you think. A long tiring journey to somewhere recovering from a tsunami and also hot as hell is not my idea of a "freebie".

What does indian independence have to do with poverty? Independence means they've moved from being politically subjugated and deprived to being merely deprived. Whoop de do.

I'm fairly certain that the average Kashmiri farmer is probably less concerned at whether the seat of government is in Dehli or London than he is with making sure his family are fed.

What's it got to do with us? (As a community, paying rates to and receiving services from the SIC as opposed to to individuals that is) Probably nothing - the debate is, I suppose, whether it's appropriate for a council rather than a government to shell out on these occasions. In the end, its a line in the sand, an arbitrary decision, there's no precedent as such, no reason why you should and no reason why you shouldn't.

The notion that if the SIC didn't send a 100K to india it would be spent on socially useful and productive projects in shetland is laughable. That much cash would probably pay for the bogroll in Clickhimin for a year.

Still, schools and hospitals are always the example that opponents of misdirected public spending roll out - as if it were inevitable that surplus funds would automatically go to the neediest in society. Ha! Its more likely the cash would be spent returfing the greens at Dale golf course.

You shouldn't be so flippant unless you've been in the region (which I have). There's precious little in the way of public money to go round, and since all of the coastline there was wiped out (along with hundreds of thousands of people - in the area we're talking about, most of them children), many families are now down to surviving on a few pence a day.

As for spending that money on 'da owld fok', I suspect if what money's being spent at the moment was better managed, we'd see better results. If you're unfortunate enough to be elderly and on your own in Tamil Nadu, chances are you'll end your days in a ditch. And elderly might mean 55.

Let's face it - as a community, we're loaded. 100k can be wasted in a morning at the Town Hall; out there, it could make the difference between outright poverty and subsistence for a hell of a lot of folk. I'd be much unhappier if I thought it was just being thrown at them, but if their micro-finance plans especially get up and running, it could make a big difference.

As for Drew's jaunt - the chance to use the ballot box to make your point is just around the corner....

It's not a good comparison to make.

At the risk of getting off the point: Yes, the Council has to go back to the drawing board - whatever cheap computer programme they came up with to make the single status calculations was obviously off the mark (though I don't suppose anybody's head'll go on the block for it). And while that axe will hang above employees heads till they formulate the next version, its obvious nothing's going to happen in a hurry.

That 100K was committed just after the tsunami, and money laid aside - would you rather Shetland renege on the deal?

Just a thought - I remember hearing Drew years ago saying if we husbanded the reserves properly, we could be looking at a billion in the bank. It's a pity he's so hell-bent now on spending the savings account on big whirly things and other dodgy infrastructure.

I would like to add that I don't think its the SIC's place to be handing out money for charity, but I agree with the cause.

Those with all the money live a life of luxury while the poor get poorer.

Much like our own country, more extreme but its similar.

Yes, I do sympathise with them but it is bought on by the governments of the countries involved.

Is the money going direct to the Government, it doesn't usually?