Fast Drivers

moorit

• 2 weeks later...

In Shetland around 95 in a citroen......just after dawn on a summers day. Outwith Shetland 115 when I decided to slow down due to cross winds on an empty M3.

Slowest......in Shetland walking pace on the main road above Gulberwick in a blizzard. Down south I twice felt it was best to stop for a while during very heavy rainstorms.

120 in a pall's astra doon the herra straights.

I never tak my cars above 100, cos if I do, I get guilty that I have abused my car.

When I first got my license, i did 90 (well it was really 70, but 90 soonds more impressive) aroond a right angle junction and spun my car. Since then I have been more careful.

I have so many good car stories I can hardly contain myself! And girseyb, I apologise again fir nearly killing wis ootside train shetland (even though it was mostly dy fault :lol: )

I have calmed doon a lot since my days as a crazy Yell hooligan....noo I tend tae frown on speeding motorists a peerie bit more.

Have been aware of cars thundering about at ungodly speeds that I'm not even going to post on this board! Lets just say that we're talking the very top end of the speedometer with needles flailing madly!

Unfortunatlely I've been involved in a few crashes too .. not all by my hand! One that I amazingly walked away from unscathed - yet had I been wearing a seatbelt and not been thrown from the vehicle, I would have been crushed!!!

I've grown a lot older and looking back on these days a shudder goes down my spine when I think of the sheer idiocy of it all! There have been various deaths in recent years - these people now no more than a meer statistic to the young "fools" (of which I was one!) that thunder around our roads today.

Its a sad fact that "sense" only really comes with experience and age - though we drill into todays youth right and wrong, the culture of cars and speed is one that is very much tied into the psyche of young men across the country! Shetland being virtually full of open and relatively straight roads is a heady, yet foolish, mix for many!

I completely agree trout. I don't think a single wan o the boys that was in the hostel with me hasna written aff thier car or been in a car thats been written aff......and when I think aboot it, thats a horrifying statistic.

Luckily none of them were hurt, and luckily I've never been in thier situation.

Most o the time when you get guys speeding, it's when they have thier pals in the car, and thats when accidents happen.

Just heard a story on Radio 1(!). A guy in a BMW had his accelerator jam as he was goin doon a motorway. He ended up doin ower 130mph, and his brakes had burnt out and he couldna get his car oot o gear. He eventually came tae a stop when he hit a roundabout. He managed tae get oot unhurt apperantly.....dat most o been scary.

Most o the time when you get guys speeding, it's when they have thier pals in the car, and thats when accidents happen.

This the bit i never understand. I've done some really stupid speeds in cars, bikes, other things(retain element of mystery!), but NEVER with other people in the vehicle, sure i've opened up the bike a little, but not a fraction of what i'd do on my own! Why are young lads intent on killing their pals!?

Just heard a story on Radio 1(!). A guy in a BMW had his accelerator jam as he was goin doon a motorway. He ended up doin ower 130mph, and his brakes had burnt out and he couldna get his car oot o gear. He eventually came tae a stop when he hit a roundabout. He managed tae get oot unhurt apperantly.....dat most o been scary.

I heard that too! 130mph,must be a crap beemer! I had a throttle stick situation going over the top of the blackhill once, Rollercoaster! I only realised it was stuck when i rounded the crest and shot down the other side, frantically trying to get my hand to the pedal to pull it off the floor!

What a buzz! :wink: