Your Manifesto for Shetland Council

JAStewart

Got the idea from the other councilors thread.

What would your manifesto be for Shetland if you were trying to get elected onto the council?

I'm probably to young to understand some issues, or I haven't looked into them enough :) IE Housing problems and stuff, but I'd be all for:

• Improving the bus services in Shetland
    Cinema & Music Venue
    Build a small Mosque in Lerwick

Probably other things on my mind but nothing I can think of right now.

shoot!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would second what JAStewart has said.. all though my ignorence to such things means I know nothing of a mosque and if it is actually needed up here at the present time.

So my list would be:

Vastly Improve Public transport, Especially over the weekend period as this would solve a lot of the drink driving that appears to still be happening in this day and age.

Cinema and Music Venue, A much needed luxury needed in Shetland,

Investigate all Grants processes over the last ten years.. and put an end to the vast mounts of money lost due to stupid loop holes in the grant application process.

With draw all Council money spent on aiding private sector companies,

If they cant survive why should the council help them, thus wasting council money that could be better spent on improving infrastructure so businesses can survive by themselves.

Decentralisation, Stop all new applications for new works in Lerwick and promote growth of industries in remote areas such as Brae.

Stop the council from being so wasteful, the amount of projects that are done by private companies that are not up to standard, but still get paid for the work is unbelievable. ( District heating and its road reinstatement to name but one )

101 other things that i don't have time to add right now.

There's a point...do Muslims in Shetland actually have a place of worship?

And if not, is it the Council's job to provide one ? I don't think the council has funded places of worship for other faiths.

( I've nothing against Muslims: I'm just a strong believer in the separation of church and state. )

Let me think.

Move the library back to where it was originally, in the building that apparantly wasn't safe for it, but is okay for office workers...! Move the office workers either upstairs in the same building or into the church.

Change the cinema/music venue project - maybe into ten pin bowling/music/ice rink/conference centre, and keep the films at Isleburgh - after all, there aren't that many sell out films so having a full time cinema would seem a bit daft. In many places, an Ice rink is successfully used as a music venue as well.

Encourage the planning department to not be quite so 'jobsworthy'.

Look at having satellite council offices (brae, sandwick, unst, yell, aith/walls etc), where people can get help with housing benefit/planning applications/housing queries - maybe using existing sites, and have them manned even once a week by staff that have some knowledge, and can phone the relevant departments if they need additional support.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Improve the bus services by moving the 5 o'clock (ish) buses to 5:15 to allow office workers and other staff who finish at 5 to get to the bus. Improve the service north including providing a Sunday service. Make bus travel free for all. How much do they actually take compared to the costs of taking the money.

Free ferry travel for foot passengers.

Ban all but delivery and disabled drivers vehicles from Da Street turning it into a pedestrian-safe area.

Charge for parking at the swimming pool car park except for cars in a car sharing scheme.

Offer a lower level of service across all areas to cut staff and costs at the SIC.

Cancel the build of music venue.

Double the amount that we pay to the pensioners at xmas, but only for those that need it. It should not be paid to those that don't need it.

Either centralise all SIC services to a purpose built shed on Gremista, thus cutting the duplication of staff, or open SIC offices in Yell, Unst, Brae and Cunningsburgh to offer better services to those out of town.

Have a child-free, alcohol free, religion free zone for adults to go to in the evenings.

Build more social housing in land-cheap areas where the houses don't have to be parked on top of each other.

Put more effort into tackling dog fouling.

Encourage through reward children who walk to school.

Implement a train service.

Lobby for DAB radio transmission.

Pay mileage rates to SIC employees at a rate inversely proportional to engine size.

Probably unlikely to get me votes from some quarters, but my own thoughts (some similar to some others) nonetheless........

Education - close Uyeasound, Cullivoe, Burravoe, North Roe and Sandness Primaries, Scalloway and Skerries Secondaries and Baltasound Secondary and Bressay Primary if fixed links to Unst or Bressay are provided. Send 5th and 6th year pupils from Yell and Whalsay to Brae. Charge for individual music tuition in schools for those who can afford it. Build a new Primary School in Lerwick to replace Bells Brae.

Roads/Transport - provide more integrated bus services including night buses from Lerwick to rural areas on Friday/Saturday nights. Introduce park and ride on the outskirts and parking charges in central Lerwick to pay for additional bus services. Restrict discounted multi tickets on ferries to island/residents businesses only. Increase fares to other users, scrap fares for foot passengers and cyclists. Provide cycle lanes in central Lerwick and bike racks at key locations/public buildings. Provide new street lighting in rural areas only where absolutely necessary on safety/security grounds. Press on with feasibility studies for fixed links.

Planning/Housing - provide grants to encourage the restoration of derelict traditional houses, require better and more sustainable design standards for new houses. Look at what undeveloped land/existing buildings in and around Lerwick Town Centre could be used for retailing, provide a new shopping centre with underground parking on the old swimming pool site. Carry out environmental improvements to the Esplanade. Provide a masterplan for the existing AHS site to encourage appropriately designed and an appropriate mix of private/rented housing (including re-use of the existing listed buildings) when the new school is built. Encourage more mixed high density development (private and rented flats and retailing/restaurants/bars) at the North Ness taking advantage of the waterfront location. Build new public housing in and around Lerwick.

Leisure/Recreation - scrap plans for the new CMV. Refurbish the Garrison for combined cinema/theatre use. Turn St Clements or St Olafs Hall into a music venue.

SIC - provide 'one stop shops' combined with public libraries adjacent to schools in Baltasound, Mid Yell, Symbister, Brae, Aith, Scalloway and Sandwick. Relocate all non frontline office staff to a single location in Lerwick accessible by private car and public transport (or some to Brae) and relocate others to a 'one stop shop' in a publicly accessible location in the Town Centre. Sell off all surplus SIC properties in Central Lerwick for housing. Introduce flexi time to office based SIC employees, open offices to the public on Thursday evenings or Saturday mornings.

Consultation - carry out six monthly/quarterly evening forums throughout Shetland to update the public on the progression of SIC policies, capital projects and key planning applications relevant to their area. Have councillors and SIC employees in attendance from roads/planning/housing/development to answer general queries.

Economic Development - might extend beyond the scope of the SIC but look at combining the plethora of local economic development bodies, local economic development action groups and SLAP into one organisation to provide a co-ordinated, one stop source of business advice, marketing, funding and property management. Build new or refurbish existing premises in industrial or business parks in rural areas to suit a number of business types. Provide rent free accommodation to new businesses starting up in rural areas.

There's a point...do Muslims in Shetland actually have a place of worship?

And if not, is it the Council's job to provide one ? I don't think the council has funded places of worship for other faiths.

( I've nothing against Muslims: I'm just a strong believer in the separation of church and state. )

That's what I was moving on to. Why should it be up to the council to build a mosque, or any other place of worship?

I agree wi Shetlander but heres a few more suggestions:

close Voe school, only a 5 minute trip tae Brae

Build 1 super Junior High in lerwick to cover for AHS and Bells brae (as they need new buildings) and Sound.

Let some SIC workers work fae hom

Build a SIC HQ and then convert the auld offices into flats to rent out

Charge for care services, but means test them so that the poor can still get free if necessary. I know some old people (80+yrs) that dont get a home help now because they were told to go on the shopping bus, they didnt want that so they offered to pay for their home help to continue coming and that was not allowed, so the home help was withdrawn.

Open up some SIC offices in the leisure centres as they are losing money hand ower fist.

Implement a train service.

A what??!?!?

Yes a train service!

Plenty of work generated. Might even be as attractive as the West Highland line! It could deliver the materials for the forthcoming wind farm and lessen the road miles. It could also deliver non-refrigerated goods to shops and mail to the sorting office as well as back to the districts for the posties to shove through doors. The power could come from the wind farm. No need to drive the Lang Kames anymore - sit back and let someone else do the driving!

It could be integrated with flights times, ferry times, feeder buses and a general overhaul of the transport strategy.

We could sell ourselves as a car free island. Imagine the tourism! Look at places like Herm and Alderney. If they can do it so could we.