Any radio amateurs around Shetlink?

DamnSaxon

As one of those oddballs who enjoys playing with the ionosphere, I'm attracted to Shetland partly by the prospect of getting away from the horrible miasma of interference in my present city QTH. (QTH = Location, for non-amateurs!)

Are there any fellow licensees in Shetlink circles who can confirm that the bands are quieter within Shetland than without? - or who can thoroughly depress me with tales of oil-industry "noises off" etc.?

If so, note that this is my post number 73 ... another note for the unlicensed - we use '73' at the end of a contact, it means "Best Wishes" ...

73 es hpe hr fm u

Unst has always been a terrific place for ham radio,except for noise from the local radar on top band and eighty.

Twenty years ago we had a thriving club with thirteen active callsigns. Now that the radar has closed down we have no-one active and no club.

Such is life.

Hmm ... SIBC keeping up the same high standards as most local radio then :roll:

Well thanks (I suppose) Claudias, that's more the thing I had in mind, and more like the activity down here than I'd have hoped. I guess the good bit is that if I do make it to Shetland I'll have no problem with strong local signals. Main problem here is noise from the sea of electrical and electronic stuff in your modern city - 'strength nine' on the meter and you can only hear the strongest European signals.

Anyone sees a strange Englishman on a clifftop, flying a kite and apparently talking to himself, be kind to him. You'll know I've finally arrived ... unless it's somebody from the City who's trying to get his mobile working ...

Actually, I reckon the whole idea of hobbies seems to be disappearing ... when I was a wee wee nipper, most blokes seemed to do something practical in their spare time, whether a 'shack' full of radio or a lathe in the shed or whatever. Nearly everybody now seems just to stare at a screen most of the time ... er ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

You could try and contact Lerwick Radio Club.

They used to meet weekly at Isleburgh.

Don't know if they still do but they were quite active at one time.

There was also a Shetland Net operating on 80metres every Sunday morning. (3775Mhz +-) Haven't listened for a long time.

Might just get the old Yeasu out of the loft for a listen some time.

Thanks, Colin. Yes, I've looked on the net (now I know what I'm looking for!) and it seems the club now meets monthly at the Westings Inn (sounds like a traditional sort of place for amateurs to meet!).

My main trouble trying to talk to Shetland amateurs from here is that I'm subject to Conservation Area restrictions - couldn't put up much of an aerial even if I had more than a yard to put it in. Perhaps I'll try to get a "magloop" going indoors and settle for setting off the fire alarms they've just installed here :(

At least the club still seems to have a few members. The Nott'm club seems only to be present on the net, unless you're into "fox hunting" in the summer, and most of the activity I hear is just mobiles nattering on the repeater - okay as far as it goes but I prefer a bit more of a challenge.

If you dig that Yaesu out, post me a note on what the noise level's like. It's S9 here most days, whatever frequency you try. Awful. Being interested in low power, I stand no chance.

73 & thanks for the info.

My dad is involved in the local ham radio club - I can speak to him and see what he says.

It was interesting recently, because Andrew Halcrow was keeping in touch via amateur radio as much as he could during his attempt to sail around the world, but I'm not sure how much activity there really is nowadays...

As one of those oddballs who enjoys playing with the ionosphere, I'm attracted to Shetland partly by the prospect of getting away from the horrible miasma of interference in my present city QTH. (QTH = Location, for non-amateurs!)

Are there any fellow licensees in Shetlink circles who can confirm that the bands are quieter within Shetland than without? - or who can thoroughly depress me with tales of oil-industry "noises off" etc.?

If so, note that this is my post number 73 ... another note for the unlicensed - we use '73' at the end of a contact, it means "Best Wishes" ...

73 es hpe hr fm u

Shetlands Ham radio web site

http://www.gm3zet.org/

Well, thanks all for the info - at least the hobby's still at least partly there! :)

Thanks Para Handy - I had found the club from Colin's earlier comment, at least they still exist, unlike the Nottingham club. I found one or two bits on their website about Andrew Halcrow ... expeditions seem to use amateur frequencies quite a lot, mostly because if you take a ham along you've got someone who's almost guaranteed to be able to communicate. (If it's a big enough expedition, you'll get the Japanese rig makers giving you the gear, too!)

Interesting to hear about G4FAJ, might look him out and see what he has to say. Surely more wind = less kite needed?! But mostly I just want to be able to hear noise other than the vast amount of man-made interference around the city when I turn on the receiver - here I can't even hear if there's a station calling me :(

Breeksy - yes, by all means ask your dad, I'm in for as much information as I can get. Not sure whether I ought to join in the L.A.R.C. forums, though, I'd feel a bit out of place as the only G among all those GM's! But all interesting stuff. Maybe I should try and get on lower frequencies to try to work Shetland, as I say my problem is noise and planning restrictions but it's all a challenge.

Thanks everyone for your help :D

Still more info! - It looks as though Shetland is more aware than most of the UK of its radio enthusiasts. I can see that I shall have a few contacts if & when I make it to the islands.

I like the Shetlopedia article - funny how everyone seems to mention King Hussein. I heard him once, years ago, almost inaudible compared to the thousands of stations calling him - the price of fame! He was very down to earth about it, though - just gave his name as Hussein and got on with the contact. I'm surprised more British amateurs don't mention Brian Rix, another of us.

I looked for GM4YEL, but only found a few mentions in lists. The best thing I've found by asking the question, though, is that (hooray) amateur radio appears to be alive and well in the Northern Isles: if Shetlopedia's figure of about 30 is right, that's a higher percentage than down here.

Funny, though. One of the classic ways of getting on the air involves slinging the end of your aerial over a tree ... :)

Thanks and 73 to everyone, de G4ANA