What is your most favorite book...

Because it appears in the anthology I'm reading, I've just started re-reading 'A gift from Earth' by Larry Niven. But, other than this, I can't say I really re-read anything. There are far too many books I want to read, to read any of them again.

Some which stick in my mind as ones I'd consider reading again:

The Bridge, by Ian Banks

Feersum Endjin, by Ian M. Banks

The Night Lands, by William Hope Hodgeson

The link above is for the e-text version.

It was the Joy of the Sunset that brought us to speech. I was gone a long way from my house, walking lonely-wise, and stopping often that I view the piling upward of the Battlements of Evening, and to feel the dear and strange gathering of the Dusk come over all the world about me.

by that I mean one you are happy to read again and again through the years.

I would have to put Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome as my all time favorite, as it never fails to make me laugh.

It’s a bit difficult just to pick one book but any thing by James Herriot dose it for me every time

'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. Sets new standards in bleakness but it didn't stop me reading twice over in 48 hours. Brrrr....

Anything by Ian McEwan is good for leaving you thoroughly entertained but with an odd hollow feeling and total inability to sleep.

any thing by James Herriot dose it for me every time

:lol: If that was an intentional pun then well done! I enjoyed it very much. If not, I'm glad to have pointed it out! :lol:

Also, have to agree about The Road - bleak, disturbing, horrifying, but brilliant.

Some which stick in my mind as ones I'd consider reading again:

The Bridge, by Ian Banks

Feersum Endjin, by Ian M. Banks

The Night Lands, by William Hope Hodgeson

Like that choice Fjool, not an easy read at first but unexpectedly compelling. I loved it.

By way of a trade off, i'll also mention "The Business" by Iain Banks, one of my faves, and promise myself a visit to the Shetland Times shop to order "The Bridge", as i haven't read it yet.

My favourite book is a copy of The New Family Herbal; or Domestic Physician: enumerating with accurate descriptions, all the known vegetables which are any way remarkable for medical efficacy; with an account of their virtues in the several diseases incident to the human frame. illustrated with figures of the most remarkable plants, accurately delineated and engraved. By William Meyrick, Surgeon. MDCCXC.

That's 1790 that is - yep, the oldest book I own. I love old books and I treated myself for my birthday a few years ago to this one from Oxfam (they were generous enough to sell it to me for £50 instead of the £300 price tag it had on it since I was the only person interested in it).

http://www.library.umass.edu/spcoll/exhibits/herbal/meyrick.htm

Apparently someone was refurbishing their house in Shetland and found this book in their loft and just put it to the charity shop. It's got little pencil and ink writings all through it and I am truly in love with. Why can't I write like that? Why don't people still write like that (I suppose there are the occasional few elderly folk who still do).

As for reading books... I've got too many favourites to whittle it down to one, and my tastes tend to be changing as I'm getting older. Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca springs to mind, Memoirs of a Geisha, Captain Corelli's Mandolin (don't even bother with the film, I was so embarassed by it I wanted to phone up the author of the book and apologise on behalf of the film director) and David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series (even though I've read them all at least 3 times I can't guarantee I'd still like them now - it's been a few years).

Hrrm, I'll just get my list out. I've printed off a copy of the BBC Big Read Top 200 and I'm working my way through that. It's a great way to get me to read books that I normally wouldn't have even considered before. So far the only ones that have disappointed me were Danielewski's House of Leaves, Iain Banks Wasp Factory and *gulp* Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho (how on earth that can be anyones favourite book I do not know!) I've got a very vivid imagination and there are images in my head now I really wish were not there, Brie... rats... saws.. ergh. I'm far too sensitive for that.

Goodness, I seem to be prattling along. Again, that's one of the great things about reading.. books are substantially more interesting than people generally, and you can always put a book down when you get tired of it. People think you're rude if you just tune them out mid-conversation.