Eyesores on Shetland

Sudden Stop

Fag ends at the doors to pubs, offices, shops, etc.

The people smoking them! It used to be that the type of person who would get blootered mid-afternoon was pretty much hidden away inside the pubs. Now, in full view of all and sundry (most importantly the kids) they're out on the street and you have to walk yourself and your family around them in order to pass by. It's not a very good impression for children I think.

It might have a positive affect. It might put them off the idea of smoking.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fag ends at the doors to pubs, offices, shops, etc.

The people smoking them! It used to be that the type of person who would get blootered mid-afternoon was pretty much hidden away inside the pubs. Now, in full view of all and sundry (most importantly the kids) they're out on the street and you have to walk yourself and your family around them in order to pass by. It's not a very good impression for children I think.

It might have a positive affect. It might put them off the idea of smoking.

good point.

I nominate:....... Gulberwick, looks as if the houses has been dropped out of the sky at random, all different colours of roofs, looks like a disorganised industrial site. One very scenic place of beauty destroyed by the planning department and/or meddling council officials.

I think Gulberwick is amazing.

Eyesores:

The old salvation army building

Fishermans mission

That car shop opposite the viking

Be careful not to lay all the blame at the feet of the planners though - most of the recent developments in Gulberwick were approved by councillors contrary to the advice of the planning officials.

I never realised that :o There seems little point in having a planning department if council officials just bypass it all the time?!

Yep - particularly when the policies the planners make their recommendations on are approved by the councillors in the first place. It doesn't happen all the time although only a few weeks ago an application for a new housing development in Dunrossness was approved contrary to officers recommendations.

Still, that's democracy in action I guess.

Lerwick / Shetland / Brae Hotel ( all though I do believe Brae is up for a face lift this year or next. )

The disused buildings around Toft.

Malcoff

Tingwall Hall

The building the new Aid shop is in

Sandvien / Staney Hill hooses, along with afore mentioned random council hooses dotted around the place.

A B and C block of the High School.

Any generic wooden / Blockwork house ( people with lack of imagination should be shot )

Hmm... I think we're missing a couple of biggies here.

First of all, there's the Sullom Voe Oil Terminal, and of course mustn't forget the (redundant) Early Warning System on Mossy Hill.

I haven't been home fir a peerie while but can anyone tell me if the remains of the Toft camp are still standing. I know there were plans in motion for its demolition.

Going back to the Planning issues. The actual developers should be more accountable and that is what the Planning Department are trying to encourage - developers shoudl be taking more responsiblity for what they are proposing the build on our landscape. Everyone has to make a living, but when financial gain is to the detriment of our beautiful landscape, its dreadful.

I don't think sullom voe is particularly an eye sore. at night it can be quite impressive.. unless all you see is the flare..
I suppose it's location helps, unless your are in ollaberry, sullom or graven, you'll only see it if that's where you are actually going.

Wire fences can look tidy when the wires are taught and the posts are evenly spaced and verticle but there are a lot of fences all over the place that are really ugly. A lot are in such a bad state that they don't even serve their original purpose anymore.

Flare Stack, Flare Stack,

Burnin' bright,

Like a candle in the night,

Burnin' aa da gas an' sh*te,

Pollutin' everything in sight!

...and another one is the ever famous "Shetland Rose". Although the red can seems to be a thing of the past, the country ditches in certain areas are still plagued with lager and cider cans (at least they were the last time I was in Shetland).