Eyesores on Shetland

Sudden Stop

The worst building taking location as well as looks into account just has to be the wooden classroom block in front of the old part of the Anderson High School. How anyone ever granted planning permission for that escapes me and it should be demolished regardless of the fate of the AHS as a whole.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I nominate Sandvein and most of Sound. But then again, most British towns have bits like that from back when people didn't know any better.

I like the new houses up on the hill there - the nicely painted ones. I'd be in terror of the winter wind though, if I lived there.

It's nice that the big dishes near Bigton are gone.

And I'll vote the old power station at the Saxa Vord base the most amusing eyesore - right in the middle of what everyone is trying to market as the great luxurious saviour of Unst.

I see a trend. Hotel extensions, Lerwick, Sumburgh, Kveldsro, Brae, and the entire Shetland. Built in the oil rush buildboom when planners allowed folk to build henious buildings all over.

Knock them down before the fall down or blown away. PLease :)

And the whole Shetland Hotel - right as you step off the ferry, there it is.

• 5 months later...
How about the Brae Hotel? Anyone fancy donating them a few tins of Paint?

That's always been horrendous - think it might be sick building syndrome :lol:

The function room in the Lights has apparently had the same decor for 30 years without being done up. Surely that's illegal? :?

Gulberwick, I think planning should be shot for allowing numerous houses toi be built with no two even looking similar

Funny you should say that, because recently I was speaking to someone up here on holiday and they liked the fact that houses in Shetland were not all the same, unlike the mass produced housing schemes with identical houses on the Scottish mainland.

Gulberwick, I think planning should be shot for allowing numerous houses toi be built with no two even looking similar

Funny you should say that, because recently I was speaking to someone up here on holiday and they liked the fact that houses in Shetland were not all the same, unlike the mass produced housing schemes with identical houses on the Scottish mainland.

Having lived south, and in Brae, which has a couple of housing schemes, I can safely say that I agree. It would be so nice to have a dissonant neighbourhood, in terms of houses I mean. ;)