Scottish National Party in the 2007 election

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted on the BBC and from a guy at the Govan Law Centre

"If perhaps some more went to the Greens we would have had another Green MSP, so it is that important."

He suggested two possible ways forward in Glasgow.

"Either we re-run the election or the returning officer contacts these 10,000 people who had their ballot treated as spoiled to ascertain their actual preference.

"We need to do that, otherwise democracy is in crisis in Scotland."

Now either this guy is a bit of an idiot or there is something very serious that "they" are not telling us. I have always understood that my vote was secret and could not be traced back to me although there was a record showing that I had been given a ballot paper to stop me turning up again.

I towt voting wis secret, but it seems possibly not.

a 30 second search comes up wi various 'it's secret but it's no really' info pages fae local authorities.

"If my vote is secret, why does the Poll Clerk write my elector number on the counterfoil?

The Poll Clerk writes your elector number on the counterfoil of the ballot paper to protect your vote. Imagine if someone came into your polling station before you and said that they were you. They would be given a ballot paper, vote on it and put it into the ballot box. How would you feel when you came to the polling station later and asked for your ballot paper, to be told that you had already voted!"

http://www.walsall.gov.uk/index/council_and_democracy/elections/voting_faq.htm#7347

"a ballot paper could be matched with the counterfoil, which records the electoral number of the voter. It is true that, in theory, votes could be traced in this way. However, in reality, there are procedures in place to ensure that this does not happen. "

http://www.hart.gov.uk/index/your_council/democracy_elections/even_more_about_elections/is_my_vote_secret.htm

Welcome ta UK PLC.

Education Education Education!

Thanks for that info. English law of course but I assume the rules in Scotland are the same. If some areas had few spoilt papers then there was nothing wrong in principle with the ballot and if the regional lists were over long then that is the price of democracy.

YUP. HEAVY SPIN in an attempt ta tarnish da result.

fae da Scotsman

"Allan Wilson, the former Labour minister, who lost his seat in Ayrshire by a narrow margin, is discussing a possible court challenge with Labour solicitors.

Mr Wilson lost the seat of Cunninghame North to the SNP by 48 votes in a constituency where there were more than 1,000 rejected papers.

It is understood his concerns are focused on 100 ballot papers which were rumoured to have gone missing following the sea journey from Arran to Irvine.

But Ian Snodgrass, returning officer for Cunninghame North, last night said: "Following allegations we have hand-counted the Arran ballot papers. These are in accordance with the accounts submitted by the polling stations. There are no missing papers from the Isle of Arran."

I may have missed it in all the furore over the election but given Alec Salmond's intentions with regard to the Scottish Parliament should he not now apply for the Stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds?. That has to be the only honourable thing to do unless by so doing he would be unable to sit as an MSP in which case should some civil servant not foreseen this difficulty and advised ministers in either or both Parliaments that this problem could arise.

Having followed this election with more than my usual interest I am more than slightly alarmed that the Presiding Officer will be elected from the MSPs and will then not be able to speak in debates or to vote for the full term of this Parliament. Is this acceptable or should some way be found to ensure that constituents get continuity of representation.

This may sound trivial but if Tavish was elected as Presiding Officer that would mean we had no direct voice in Parliament for the next four years. And as the major parties are so close in numbers I expect neither of them would want to lose one single vote so I would not be surprised if the Presiding Officer comes from the Lib Dems or Conservatives.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.

A badly needed road upgrade for a stretch of road that is becoming increasingly busier and has had a number of fatal accidents due to the current standard of the road...

versus...

A nice tram system around Edinburgh.

I know which one I would pick.

^ They were debating this on Radio Scotland this morning. There were many different opinions on the subject as you would expect. One thing which I wasn't sure about was why trams are going to cause less congestion than buses.

Surely an underground system is the solution to overground congestion?

... One thing which I wasn't sure about was why trams are going to cause less congestion than buses ...

... quite simple, Fjool. Modern tram systems run on seperate tracks/lanes sealed off the roads/lanes for cars by kerbs ... and where they cross the car traffic they have the right of way. Furthermore: They have a higher capacity per unit ... so less units used ... or mor comfort by higher frequencies for those travelling with a tram.

Despite that the modern tram systems (as they were re-installed in the big cities of the former GDR after the reunion) can actively interfere the traffic regulating system. That's to say: There is a tram stopping at a station in front of a street crossing with traffic light regulation. People getting out and in - after that it might have happened that the tram had to wait in front of a red showing traffic light. Nowadays when the last passenger is in and before he closes the doors the conductor/driver sends a signal to the traffic light and when the door is closed the light has changed to green ... no extra waiting times anymore in front of a traffic light ... ;-)

Ok, all quite simple as you say. However, this one point perplexes me a little...

Modern tram systems run on seperate tracks/lanes sealed off the roads/lanes for cars by kerbs ...

since, the last time I visited, Edinburgh had little in the way of 'spare' space. It was all full of pavements and roads already. No room for separate tram lines. This means that the amount of road would be reduced to fit some trams in. Fine if trams are more efficient but are they this efficient that some of the road/pavement space can be done away with?

If I remember the plans correctly, the main line of the three, that runs from the West to the East of the city does manage to stay completely off roads. From the West to the centre there is some open space where they currently have a bus only road (as opposed to bus lane) that will be converted to tram tracks, then a rail line for it to go along/next to. In the centre they have been widening the pavement on Princes Street for a while as traffic has been banned from it, so presumably that will be used. Then I think they might even get all the way down Leith Walk on the middle bit, which you could call a pavement, but it still leaves plenty down the sides. And that's it, bar the odd tricky bit (might need to knock down the St James centre or fly over haymarket :wink: ).

It had very few stops on it too, 12-15 stops I think. Over the same distance of about 8-10 miles a bus could stop 40 times, with each stop having the potential on skinny roads to stop all the traffic behind the bus until it goes again.

So it should do a reasonable job of reducing congestion. But, I couldn't help but laugh listening to that debate this morning where the purpose of some peoples congestion solutions seemed to be to clear the roads so that they could drive on them alone.

Continually upgrading roads is pointless when the locations at either end of the road can't handle the traffic either.

Continually upgrading roads is pointless when the locations at either end of the road can't handle the traffic either.

Understandable if this was a short piece of road that is being upgraded, but the A9 is one of the main routes connecting the Central Belt to the rest of Scotland. Plus Edinburgh isn't actually at the end of the A9.

The road is ridiculous at the moment, I turd myself every time I approach the junction at Dunkeld, and I'm usually on the A9, not one of the people trying to turn onto the road.

According to someone on Radio Scotland last night, when the road was upgraded 30 odd years ago, the entire stretch from Perth to Inverness was built so it could be converted to dual carriageway at some point in the future, that time is now.

Whilst I'm ranting about roads, the A96 really needs upgraded aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

SNP Manifesto Promises

Salmond elected First Minister 16 May 2007

First meeting SNP Cabinet 22 May 2007

Promise: Reduce number of Executive Departments from 9 to 6

Delivered: Ministerial structure in place from 22 May 2007; departmental reorganisation ongoing.

Promise: Publish suppressed Howatt Report on the (in)efficiency of the Lib/Lab government within 100 days.

Delivered: 25 May 2007 (3 days)

Promise: Remove tolls on Forth & Tay Bridges

Delivered: Legislation passed 31 May 2007 (9 days)

Promise: Raise smoking age to 18

Delivered: announced 6 June 2007 (15 days). Effective 01 Oct 2007

Promise: reverse closure of Monklands and Ayr Hospitals A& E Units

Delivered: 06 June 2007 (15 days)

Promise: cancel loony 'another Scottish Parliament Building Project on Rails' Edinburgh Airport Rail Link EARL and replace with more sensible scheme, cancel Tavish's pet £600,000,000 Edinburgh single tram line from nowhere to no other where.

Working on it. Would require to support of one of larger opposition parties to deliver. On 06 June 2007 Audit Scotland was instructed to review value for money of both projects and report to Parliament by 20 June. Lib/Labs started work in January in attempt to preempt cancellation. tut tut.

Promise: employ an addtional 1,000 community police officers. Consider alternatives to prison for minor offenders.

Delivered: announced 06 June 2007. Implementation timescale asap.

Promise: press for Scotland to lead on fisheries negotiations with the EU.

Working on it. 05 June 2007 initial meeting between Richard Lochhead, Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment and UK Fisheries Minster Ben Bradshaw. 11 June 2007 Bradshaw and Lochhead jointly attend EU Fisheries meeting in Luxemburg. A compromise.

Promise: begin reform of student funding with removal of 'graduate endowment fee'

Delivered: Announcement expected 13 June 2006

and so on and so forth. Telt you.