Budget

Again taking some assumptions.. it seems to of worked out that the chancellor has made it worth while to buy a second hand 4x4..

For instance if you find a good conditioned 4x4 for sale you could discover that it value has dropped by £1000 due to the hike in road tax.. So in effect you get 5 years increase free road tax,

Scum sucking devious wretch.

14,000 pa £90 up

25,000 pa £220+ down

high earners Up slightly

appealing to the majority of the voting demographic perhaps.

no concession for 4x4's in rural areas.

more incentive for families to buy second or third small cars due to further reduction in duty.

Saving the planet or political spin? :roll:

I am still not convinced that the majority of 4x4 drivers in Shetland need to drive them. I have colleagues who manage to get into work from the far reaches of the Shetland mainland driving Saxos and Corsas no matter what the weather. They can always follow in the snow ploughs furrow.

If the crofter is worried about getting bogged down he/she should be buying a real tractor not a Chelsea tractor.

The "towing the boat" argument is the one that makes me smile. How many times a year is it towed, and what is the logic of running some huge 4x4/pickup to tow it a few times a year?

I am still not convinced that the majority of 4x4 drivers in Shetland need to drive them. .....

If the crofter is worried about getting bogged down he/she should be buying a real tractor not a Chelsea tractor.

Ooooh, let me at you, let me at you.......! I would engage the diff and keep driving!

I am enraged by this. I have a Landrover Defender that I use only as a crofting vehicle. I use it to tow my trailer full of Shetland ponies to the sales, and to the ferry. I use it to take feed and water into the hill to one of my crofts - there is no track to this croft and no water either. I have to off-road to keep my animals alive.

I could not do this in any other car. Even tractors find it diifficult to get to this croft. The four wheel drive on my Landrover is invaluable and gets me out of many a quagmire! I do not own a tractor and rely on my Landrover to do the work.

I also live down a track (1/4 mile long) and get snowed in regularly. Last year it took two of us 3 hours to dig the Landrover out so that I could feed and water the horses.

To be taxed higher for having a vehicle that is essential to my crofting life seems very unfair. I deliberately saved my pennies and bought a small secondhand Toyota Yaris to run about in and only use the Landrover where no other car will do.

It's one thing if you actually need such a vehicle. Quite another to be driving it in the center of London.

But, having said that, there are other advantages your crofting life provides you which other people would give their right arm to enjoy. There's an element of choice involved in where you are and what you choose to do.

I am still not convinced that the majority of 4x4 drivers in Shetland need to drive them. .....

....snip.....I am enraged by this. I have a Landrover Defender that I use only as a crofting vehicle. I use it to tow my trailer full of Shetland ponies to the sales, and to the ferry. I use it to take feed and water into the hill to one of my crofts - there is no track to this croft and no water either. I have to off-road to keep my animals alive. I could not do this in any other car. Even tractors find it diifficult to get to this croft.......snip.......To be taxed higher for having a vehicle that is essential to my crofting life seems very unfair. I deliberately saved my pennies and bought a small secondhand Toyota Yaris to run about in and only use the Landrover where no other car will do.

You sound like one of the people that genuinely needs a 4x4 and I applaud the fact that you also use a Yaris for normal use. I am not sure what the laws are now, but I remember (far too many years ago) when road tax on a tractor was £5 a year. It always struck me that a tractor and a Yaris would make more sense, but I bow to your experience that there are places where a tractor would not go where a Land Rover could.

My experience of Land Rovers have been that there have been many times when I have put one where I should not have and the logical vehicle to get me out of the hole was always a tractor, and this was often with (military) recovery vehicles available.

I refer you though to my comments: I am still not convinced that the majority of 4x4 drivers in Shetland need to drive them. .....

I am sure the majority of off road vehicles in the UK are now owned by people who really could make do with a Yaris and I suspect that this now applies in Shetland........certainly lots of nice clean 4x4s parked in Lerwick through the day.

That of course does not make life any easier for farmers and crofters who do need them. Perhaps some way to compensate said farmers and crofters with a subsidy or some sort of tax break could be found.

Sad thing is that most of the owners of "Chelsea Tractors" can afford to pay the extra taxes except for the people who need the vehicles most.

I run a 4x4, although I suppose I could do without it. The only thing it is really essential for is towing the stock trailer, but I could likely hire a truck to move lambs to market and borrow somebody elses 4x4 for the few other occasions when I need to move animals. Like Frances I live at the end of a rough track which doesn't get cleared by snowplough, but if I am snowed in for a few days I am not particularly bothered. I had been thinking of getting a new pickup, but now I will maybe wait and see what happens to the price of 2nd hand 4wd vehicles....

really could make do with a Yaris
I applaud the fact that you also use a Yaris
Yaris would make more sense

Yaris sales people in da house? :lol:

It's probably become the car is sinonee erm sinnonny erm that people think of when they think of an environmentally friendly (cough cough) car!

Synonymous!!

I am enraged by this. I have a Landrover Defender that I use only as a crofting vehicle. I use it to tow my trailer full of Shetland ponies to the sales, and to the ferry. I use it to take feed and water into the hill to one of my crofts - there is no track to this croft and no water either. I have to off-road to keep my animals alive.

Then I would assume that any increase would not affect you. As the vehicle appears to be part of your business, any expense would be deductable.

PS. I am NOT unsmpathetic. Just pointing out a gap in your argument.