Accomodation - rental properties - is there a market?

Frances144

What is the rental accomodation market like in Shetland?

Are there many flats/houses available?

Is there a need for rental accomodation and, if so, whereabouts is the best area?

What sort of standard of accomodation is required? What sort of average rent would someone expect to pay (be realistic, not in a Disney world!)?

THanks

Frances

• 4 weeks later...

I recently advertised my flat in the paper and got 3 calls about it.

There always seems to be accomodation advertised in the paper every week.

I would say there is a need for it and the most popular places are Lerwick and Scalloway.

Some people want a property that they can just move into with all the furnishings whilst others want to personalise a place with their own possessions.

My property is a one bedroom fully furnished flat in Lerwick and i was told to advertise at £400 per month plus bills. Council tax on this property is approx £100 per month. Electric is about £50

What is the rental accomodation market like in Shetland?

Are there many flats/houses available?

Is there a need for rental accomodation and, if so, whereabouts is the best area?

What sort of standard of accomodation is required? What sort of average rent would someone expect to pay (be realistic, not in a Disney world!)?

THanks

Frances

In my opinion the figure "Da-Lipper" quoted is scandelous for a 1 bedroom flat. £550 your having a laugh!

With the average price of property in Shetland apparently in excess of £100k, it's understandable why a 1 bedroom flat will cost in excess of £500/month to rent. A £100k mortgage is likely to cost £7-800 per month!!

While the private property market is likely to be marginalised by increasing values, thankfully that wont stop Hjaltland putting them up as fast as they can. Mind you, wonder if the fact that once Hjaltland hit the 500 property mark has anything to do with that - they then get to call themselves a large association and all their staff get appropriate pay rises :wink: