any rig workers? career advice needed please

scotty

as title i,m currently in a position were i,m thinking of learning a new skill for a different career i,ve been advised on taking the courses in this link http://www.cogent.emitrade.com/acatalog/Publications_Shop_Petroleum_Processing_Technology_Series_7.html

i have no skills at present and was wondering if this is the best way to approach it any other ideas advice you have will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scotty,

I have all those qualifications and the body 'Cogent' which are offering them is the one recognised by the Offshore industry. However, I strongly feel that if you want to work offshore, you should spend your money on courses that will get you out there. Such as the Survival course and an offshore medical. This way you will be able to get 'general assistants/labourer' type jobs requiring little in the way of skills (sorry lads!). Once you start earnig a wage, then go on to get these courses. They are more geared to trainee operators, already working as an operator for the main oil companies that own the offshore platforms.

I feel that you would be better off contacting the service companies and drilling companies (WG, KCA, Salamis etc) and see what they say. Have a look in the yellow pages for Aberdeen and check out the Web sites for these types of companies. You never know, you may already have some skills they are looking for.

One other think, it may be an option, depending on your age but, I think Cogent do sponcer trainees to HNC level at college (in Aberdeen, I think it is in partnership with Aberdeen College) Many of these trainees end up offshore.

Hope this helps! :lol:

hi seahorse :D

and thanks for the information its just what i needed, youve saved me some money for now cheers pal :wink:

i,ll also look into those companies you mention sounds the best place to start as you say, again thanks much apreciated guidence :D

I hear that unless you have the skills they are looking for it is still very difficult to get in offshore, even if you possess the certificates

Such as the Survival course and an offshore medical
Not my field of business but I hear that if you have a skill they want they will soon put you through these courses

Many offshore companies will put you through an offshore survival course and pay for your medical. It is a fairly big outlay (around £500, i think), but it will give you the edge over applicants for the same job without these certifications.

Across the industry there is a shortage of employees and oil companies are lowering their standards for the skills required to work offshore. I can remember on advert the company I work for in the P and J asking for ' a clean driving license and a sense of adventure'

Many offshore companies will put you through an offshore survival course and pay for your medical. It is a fairly big outlay (around £500, i think), but it will give you the edge over applicants for the same job without these certifications.

Across the industry there is a shortage of employees and oil companies are lowering their standards for the skills required to work offshore. I can remember on advert the company I work for in the P and J asking for ' a clean driving license and a sense of adventure'

Niald, I quite agree, by looking at these company websites Scotty can get an idea of what they are looking for. Some places will give you a start as a fire watcher (sitting watching the Welder in case he sets himself on fire!) or if you have experience using a industrial high pressure washer. There is even a guy that goes out once a year to re-cloth the snooker table!