26 members have voted

1. 1. Tall Ships back in 2010?

• Drop anchor and bring 'em on in!
    • Hoist the Jolly Rodger and give 'em a broadside! Send them packing

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was selling programs during the Tall Ships. I basically spent the time selling the odd program and sunning myself. The last day gave us the best weather as I remember...as I burnt my arms pretty badly.

Were u working with Lewis Carstairs? He Got sun stroke and blisters on his balding napper, poor chap...

Think it would be great if it came back again. The town had a great atmosphere the last time and I have fond memories of the concert held on the last night of it - of course that might have been down to the rum & coke I was fueled up on :)

Likewise I can't see how the local shops suffered unless they mean places that served food due to the various tents/vans etc offering things but I seem to recall that some of the local places had stalls for food as well ?

Do you want to see the Tall Ships back here in 2010?

Seems like it will cost more to bring them here and now according to SIBC some 'small businesses' want compensation for the loss of trade!

Cant say I understand that one. The place was buzzing for the duration last time. Anyone selling anything from a bed to a burger could hardly keep up. They'd lose a lot more trade if everyone piled out to Aberdeen or somewhere to see them.

Personally I cant wait.

Bring 'em on!!!

I've spoken to an ex-shop keeper (Toll Clock) who didn't see ONE customer during the whole of the Tall Ships, but still had staff and overheads to pay. It's a myth that anyone having a shop automatically makes loads of money - sits back and the money rolls in.

That's probably why he's an EX-shop keeper!

Do you want to see the Tall Ships back here in 2010?

Seems like it will cost more to bring them here and now according to SIBC some 'small businesses' want compensation for the loss of trade!

Cant say I understand that one. The place was buzzing for the duration last time. Anyone selling anything from a bed to a burger could hardly keep up. They'd lose a lot more trade if everyone piled out to Aberdeen or somewhere to see them.

Personally I cant wait.

Bring 'em on!!!

I've spoken to an ex-shop keeper (Toll Clock) who didn't see ONE customer during the whole of the Tall Ships, but still had staff and overheads to pay. It's a myth that anyone having a shop automatically makes loads of money - sits back and the money rolls in.

I guess it depends largely on location. I could see why your average person would not want to stroll around the ugly old toll cross centre when it's an amazing day outside with loads going on.

If business was that slow on the 1st day then I'd have been tempted to close the shop and join in the fun if I were a shop keeper, although I appreciate that the bills must be paid etc.

I may be missing something here...

Why should the LPA/Tall Ships/whoever pay anything to any of the shopkeepers who claim they lost money during Tall Ships?

My thoughts exactly! Diddums I say!

Where is society going nowadays? "me me", grab all you can, whinge enough till you get your way, and demand compensation for everything!?

EH?

What an opportunity the Tall Ships was for all concerned ... could these shops with a little ingenuity and marketing not have made "more" money! Lerwick isn't a big place by any means of the word! You can walk from one end of the "commercial sector" to the other in 30mins odd easily. Case of sour grapes and missed opportunities most likely!

Without knowing more it's difficult to comment, but is the shop keeper suggesting that not seeing ANY customers was because of the Tall Ships?

I cant help feeling that maybe there was some other problem here. The Toll Clock centre had no parking restrictions like the town centre, was close to one of the main hubs of the event, and the biggest potential customer base they were ever likely to see was on their doorstep.

They didnt set up shop as an umbrella seller did they? :?

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It was a really good week and there was definitely a generally happy air about the place and, according to all the councillors, it was a huge benefit to the community.

Em.... how??? I know it was great for accommodation providers, but the shops didn't do any more business as everyone was on the piers and it hasn't increased the visitors numbers since.

Also, the council are putting on a Hamefarin' in 2010 - this was because they were turned down for the Tall Ships 2009. I remember hearing a council official on the radio stating that the Hamefarin' would make up for not having the Tall Ships. Now, they are going to have the Hamefarin' one year and the Tall Ships the next. That's a lot of council money being spent on the "feel good factor".

Its also a bit daft, as many ex-Shetlandars living long distances away will now make the decision between coming home in 2010 and coming home in 2011. I know I have one relative who had been considering the 2010 trip but is now coming in 2011 as it will be such a spectacle and they can't come from the other side of the world two year's running.

Have the councillors just shot themselves in the foot with this one? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it being here again, but can we justify the money that will be spent on both these major events?