Carry On At Da Ness / Road Closure Etc !!

Gerraldene-Jailbird

As alot of you will probably know, or have heard, there has been some strange activitys going on at the ness today - involving police, ambulances, fire engines and police armed and fully suited in armour and riot gear :x !! Does anyone have any idea what shetland is turning in to? :( 8O

From what i heard, the road is also closed ??

Da ness is almost as bad as mossbank and brae now - are they full up there??

As per usual in shetland, there are 100 (well not quite yet) different stories flying about !!

Just another da in the life of the 'hood. :roll:

The Hoofields overspill used to all get bunged in to Windybrae, which was very quietly "closed" by the back door. (In a time of severe housing shortage??). Now they shove them in one here and one there among the rest of us, anyplace that's vacted is immediately filled with "passer's through". :roll:

Dunno if that "council policy" has any bearing on today's events, as I neither know nor care who was involved. Not seen any riot cops though, just a few sauntering round in shirt sleeves looking very relaxed. Seems like much ado over not a lot best as I can see....and they're still hanging round 4 hours after it began.

As far as I can gather it was another over-reaction. I almost feel sorry for the police in this situation because they have obviously had to put these measures in place in case something did go horribly wrong. If that wasn't the case then the officer in charge should be blushing quite brightly by now.

I do wonder, if the same situation arose in Central London, whether or not the same amount of precautions would be taken. Then again they would have fully trained marksmen in place to pop anybody off should they become irritable.

Another Over-Reaction by the local constabulary?? 8O NEVER :lol: !! Do the people employed to police the isles actually ever get anything right?? One law for them, and another for us - though thats not for discussion on this topic !!

I suppose one thing can be taken out of this, the police actually managed an alomst complete attendance, without causing any accidents themselves, and without writing off any more police cars - now that they have demolished the old ones to get spanking new shinny ones :roll:

With regards to the extent of the evacuation and dealing with the problem in hand etc, im surprised how well it was handled, and must of taken a fair bit of 'organisation' - afterall, its a first of its kind i would of thought for up here?

Its the most ammount of emergency vehicles ive seen anywhere in such a small place !! Almost a job getting them all parked !!

I would think, should the same incident have taken place anywhere such as Glasgow, London etc, the person causing the disturbence would of been shot at :?

^^^ In fairness to the Police it was a far more low key, and shorter duration event, and a smaller collection of vehicles and personnel than was on virtually the same site dealing with an incident last August. In that situation nothing could be done to assist the material situation in a positive way, it was, to the observer at least, purely an exercise in appeasing the red tape that someone somewhere deemed should follow such an incident.

I am not aware of any evacuation having taken place over this incident, if one did it could only have been one or possibly two houses at most, everyone else was going around their business apparently oblivious of any problem.

My dear Ms Jailbird,

I look forward with interest to the thread wherein you do decide to discuss and air your apparent grievances.

Kind regards. :)

PS "armed and fully suited in armour and riot gear !!" Are you QUITE sure? I rather think not. Shall we stick to fact rather than fantasy? :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

The "nazi style skid lids" (I DO find somewhat irksome the attempt by some to automatically pigeon-hole all Police as jackboot wearing right wing fanatics. :roll: It is tiresome and unimaginative and - as I have previously said - displays a narrow mindedness and bigotry which ill-behooves rational and sensible people) are regulation, as is the body armour. A Police officer should wear both where practicable, and they should certainly wear the body armour when dealing with such a reported incident, where the full facts are still not yet known. It is not so terribly long ago that, prior to the adoption of the armour, a Police officer in Yell was stabbed to the chest- narrowly missing his heart - during a routine traffic stop, so it COULD and HAS happened here.

I remain, as ever, etc... :)