Alternative Energy Production - Tidal / Wave etc.

mgb2010

The ferry ticket sounds like a flippant remark to me. I am sure that we have fully expensed the travel of every other consultant who we have had the "benefit" of in the past.

His 50:50 share on micro generation installs must be making him very wealthy indeed. I am sure that he can easily afford the ferry ticket.

I think Andrew Mackay should prove to the people of Shetland his scheme works first, get private backing to set it up and if it does then get round the table with the powers that be. That's what the windmill people have done.

Is Shetland Aerogenerators not bankrolled by the development trust?

The ferry ticket sounds like a flippant remark to me. I am sure that we have fully expensed the travel of every other consultant who we have had the "benefit" of in the past.

His 50:50 share on micro generation installs must be making him very wealthy indeed. I am sure that he can easily afford the ferry ticket.

I know it was a flippant remark, and I don't think it makes him sound very professional.

I also don't really see that he has much - if any - sort of track record. I certainly don't see evidence of him ever doing much commercial work. But perhaps I haven't been looking in the right places. Maybe he's a genius but I'd want a bit more to go on first.

Is Shetland Aerogenerators not bankrolled by the development trust?

I don't know but I'm supposing it is. I've no problem with this. The Dev Trust is supposed to back projects like this, it's shown some foresight and should therefore be given credit. I think Burradale has been a success. But then wind power has a proven track record - tidal power, unfortunately, has not got a proven track record yet. Far brainier people than me who actually know about renewable technology aren't yet backing tidal power - I defer to their superior knowledge. Perhaps some of the millions Shetland makes from wind power could be ploughed back into a renewable energy research company that pioneers new renewable technology?

Firstly, may I just say that I could pay to Shetland out of my petty cash box, but there is a principle at stake. Let me remind you that my letter in the SN recently suggesting that SIC or some OTHER party should pay my fare was not a flippant remark - it was deadly serious.

Secondly, you are all being conned by the wind farm lobby when it comes to capacity factors. The oft averred to figure of 53% for Shetland refers to the theoretical mechanical power developed on the main low speed shaft and as such bears no relation to the electrical output of a wind turbine. If this was a court of law you would be expected to corroborate this 'hearsay evidence' by providing wind velocity stats for Shetland.

You will be amazed to learn that a 2MW wind turbine does not generate 2MW of electricity, but it may develop 2MW of mechanical power on the main shaft when the wind is blowing at gale force. It may, in fact, generate 1.8MW(elect) gross in these conditions, but by the time the 'works power' is subtracted this falls to about 1.6MW(nett).

Further, when the wind falls to 12m/s or below the mini-400kW generator cuts in and it, in turn will generate at about 360kW(e) gross but by the time the 'works power is subtracted you would be lucky to 100kW(e) out.

The sad thing is that gale force winds are not that common, even is Shetland, so a 2MW rated wind turbine delivers under 200kW for most of the year.

So, dear forum members, you are content to believe and TRUST the lying dogs who represent the wind turbine industry, but you do not trust me and want proof that my system works as advertised.

Well, you are a bit late, because another island community will be first to benefit from GENTEC venturi and it these people that will grow very wealthy - Shetland has had its chance and for the price of a lousy boat ticket worth under a £1000 you will be able to buy a few hundred beers into which you can weep at what might have been

"However, I would suggest that if the invention is as good as you say it is, you would probably be wise to try and sell it to lots of people, rather than just one island. I'm no businessman but I'd say that would be the way to go."

This island has several million people living on it.

One thing I have noticed is that people tend to assume things, erroneously, 9 times out of 10. I was not going to SELL my technology to Shetland I was going to give it away - for the greater good of the planet.

It is never a good idea to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Another thing that people assume is that wind turbines will be the only technology in the world that will never be superseded and will spend £millions building more soon to be obsolete wind turbines.

A little-known person named Charles H. Duell could be called one of the main ancestors of the AmbiEntity. He was Commissioner of the US Patent Office at the turn of the last century. In 1899 he implored US President William McKinley to abolish the Patent Office and stop handing out patents to inventors, because, as Duell reasoned brilliantly: Everything that can be invented already has been invented."

It good to see that this attitude is still alive and well on this forum.

In years to come when I am proven correct, one of the last great wildernesses will be gone for ever - all because nobody bothered to check out the claims made by wind turbine manufactures - on the basis that they would not lie about their inneffective and poorly engineered contraptions would they?

Yes, your Mickey Mouse windmill probable does produce something for 50% of the year but it does not generate at full capacity for much more than 15% does it? Your evidence please?

So, dear forum members, you are content to believe and TRUST the lying dogs who represent the wind turbine industry, but you do not trust me and want proof that my system works as advertised.

Well, you are a bit late, because another island community will be first to benefit from GENTEC venturi and it these people that will grow very wealthy - Shetland has had its chance and for the price of a lousy boat ticket worth under a £1000 you will be able to buy a few hundred beers into which you can weep at what might have been

Am I the only person visualising a large man in a leather chair stroking a big white cat - muttering about world domination? :lol:

It is never a good idea to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Very true....but, it takes a very wise man to see the the gift horses among the herd of unicorns, Pegasus clones and the very many worn out nags making a last ditch effort to avoid the knackers yard.

Your invention has a prototype available for inspection....where exactly??

If there isn't one, all you've got is some theory that may or may not work as you predict. Most people are aware of just how many good ideas vanish with the immortal words, "Well, it looked good on paper, but...." Where is your proof your theory works?

A sceptic would say you are looking for someone to bankroll your experiments in an untried and unproven technology. Windpower is always going to be unreliable and erratic, it's not perfect by a long shot, but at least it can be seen working, and people can make up their own minds on actual facts. Where can your alternative be seen working so that people can do the same?

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round

They all laughed when Edison recorded sound

They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother when they said that man could fly

They told Marconi wireless was a phony, it's the same old cry

...and I can see why, if they sounded like this greenheat fellow. But I guess it's easy to mock and assume the idiosyncratic guy without big money is the one with the incorrect facts. I dunno - I can't say I checked them all and don't know much about this situation, but time will tell.

Seems a shame to me that, if I've gathered correctly, the price of this guy's holiday to Shetland might have been a cheaper 'fact finding' fee than any councillor's. Even if the results were fruitless and, let's face it, they often are.. (insert project of your choosing here)... it was worth a try. Any gamble must consider the value of the payoff.

How much has already been spent on the windfarm project? I've no idea but, judging by the nicely painted van, glossy pamphlets and such... too much.

Shetland should definitely be looking towards renewable energy but the windfarm is just wrong for Shetland; nobody seems to be convinced. Everyone has their niggles and concerns.

There are lots of options which, I've been lead to believe, aren't viable. I think that at least some of Shetland's money would be better spent researching these options much more thoroughly. Something feels very rushed about all this.

This windfarm project, to me, smacks of a massive, community-wide advertisement. It is big-business spam and it's like will happen more and more often, with all sorts of projects and 'opportunities'; some will be more successful than others. One thing is certainly true: We cannot afford many mistakes on the scale of the behemoth VE aspires to become. If it goes sour, it will poison Shetland.

I get the impression that VE is the global equivalent of the kind of door-to-door salesmen that the council are trying to stomp on at a local level. The figures are baked, twisted, optimised and, ultimately, off-set against our future. The sales techniques are similar; it feels like foot-in-the-door stuff to me.

I will prove that my machine works in a couple of sentences because Inever said that it was rocket science and a child could understand how it works once you prove that wind turbines in Shetland will generate at a capacity factor of 53 beyond all reasonable doubt.

Over to you!

That's not what I was asking. Windmills can produce electricity, this much has been proven time and time again for a very many years, what the capacity and output of those proposed for Shetland may or may not be is a point still very open to debate as far as I'm concerned, as is the potential profitability of the venture.

Electricity producing windmills are proven technology, they do what it says on the tin, produce electricity when the wind blows. The only thing up for debate is how well they do it. I'm asking for proof that your system produces electricity to the specifications you claim on your tin. I can go and see a windmill whirling around, and with a bit of co-operation from the owner, see a piece of electrical equipment operating from the electricity produced. That is all they claim they do.

Where can I go and see your generating system operating a piece of electrical equipment as per your claims? Who's technology is most efficient, cost effective etc etc is a question for after that.

http://www.greenheating.com/Resources/Image42.gif

The image shows the comparison with the Lunar Energy's 2MW machine in a very high tidal regime, Petit Passage, Bay of Fundy.

The first 'hump' shows what is happening over the 6.25 hours on a full or new moon day(zenith of Springs). The red dotted line is the intermittent electrical output of LE's machine - the solid red line at 4MW shows the constant output of Gentec venturi.

http://www.greenheating.com/Resources/Image41.gif

Following on, the spare unused stored power is carried forward in to Neaps so that a constant electrical output is guarateed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - and Shetland is not interested!

Why am I thinking of the "Marge vs the Monorail" episode of The Simpsons after reading the last page of this thread?

@ greenheatman...

If you are trying to put across the point that your product is going to be beneficial to the island, I'd advise you change the tone of your posts. Treating us like neanderthal children isn't going to help much.

Also, you suggested Bressay Sound as the location for your barges, why is this? I don't have anything to back this up other than what I remember from Radio Shetland reports a few years back, but doesn't Bluemull Sound have some of the strongest tides in the UK?

If you really want to put across your product, maybe try contacting the relevant parties rather than posting on a news site and a forum that they may not read.

http://www.greenheating.com/Resources/Image42.gif

The image shows the comparison with the Lunar Energy's 2MW machine in a very high tidal regime, Petit Passage, Bay of Fundy.

All the image shows is that you've taken the graph showing their output and then drawn a more impressive line over the top of it. That's just silly.