Alternative Energy Production - Tidal / Wave etc.

mgb2010

I'm afraid the graphs don't mean much to me either, greenheat man. I remain to be convinced. For what it's worth I think your pitch is all wrong, but that's beside the point.

ii) as I've already posted earlier in this thread: that's what is to be installed in the Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia, is the same device as it is installed for testing in Eday Sound, Orkney, see also at the CBC news, Feb. 2007:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/energy/tidal-power.html

Interesting article islandhopper. I hadn't seen it before and have come late to this debate I realise. Not quite a plethora of tidal power examples, but a significant few that do seem to have some track record - the French one certainly, but perhaps not a good idea to copy it en masse!

As I said before, I think most of us would love tidal power to be what Shetland goes for but the technology is still evolving and at an early stage. There's nothing to stop Shetland from going down the tidal route at a later date - it could be very lucrative as well. But I think with the windmills we are going down a tried and tested - and less risky - route. Taking a gamble on GENTECventuri based on what we know so far would be too big a gamble.

As for the Drew Ratter thing, you're probably right crofter.

Geography, Lerwick is closer to Bressay Sound that Bluemull - and besides I do not need the fastest tides to make my system work - my barges couols be moored anywhere where there is a reasonable tide.

Like i said its all pretty academic anyway - GENTEC venturi has been given away to others - You cannot expect me to ask for it back!

Like i said its all pretty academic anyway - GENTEC venturi has been given away to others - You cannot expect me to ask for it back!

Don't flatter yourself, why would anyone care what you do with it at this stage. All you've proven you have so far is an untried/untested/unproven theory which may, or may not function as you predict. Which seems to have attracted legions of critics from all spheres, but a dearth of supporters.

Once you have a working prototype/scale model which can be observed in action and it's outputs etc verified, you have something. Until then you have nothing of worth.

The people of Shetland are being conned by VE and others into building soon-to-be-obsolete wind turbines. A previous niave post more or less said that it matters not how little these wind turbines generate - what does matter is that they generate some electricity - so there.

This is a pathetic argument because wind turbines have never yet closed down a single fossil fuel plant and IF this wind factory is every built you will still need to ship in the same amount of oil to run the power station at Gremista or if you do get the interconnector almost all of the electricity will be going one way - to Shetland - not from it.

How much less oil has being burned at Gremista since the 'success' of the wind turbines at Burradale?

The answer is more not less!

How much less oil has being burned at Gremista since the 'success' of the wind turbines at Burradale?

I think you would need to provide some evidence for that statement. If it is true it is pretty shocking, but you can't expect just to be taken at your word with something as controversial as that.

(By the way, I sent a message to you, are you going to answer?)

I think you would need to provide some evidence for that statement. If it is true it is pretty shocking, but you can't expect just to be taken at your word with something as controversial as that.

I don't think it would necessarily be "pretty shocking" - if electricity consumption is rising in Shetland, then it could simply be the case that the wind turbines have slowed the increase of oil burnt at Gremista.

I don't think it would necessarily be "pretty shocking" - if electricity consumption is rising in Shetland, then it could simply be the case that the wind turbines have slowed the increase of oil burnt at Gremista.

True, yes. Although if Shetland, with a decreasing population, is continuing to use more energy, that would also be shocking.

One of the main reasons, despite a falling population, that more electicity is being generated is to supply the wind turbines with good quality grid electricity to allow them to work in the first place - I will not get into technical details, but that is the only reason that the interconnector is required from the Scottish Mainland - to supply electricity to the wind turbines' windings!

Also, I am sure that somebody on Shetland knows just how much oil is consumed at Gremista year on year. They are hardly going to publish that kind of info!

One of the main reasons, despite a falling population, that more electicity is being generated is to supply the wind turbines with good quality grid electricity to allow them to work in the first place - I will not get into technical details, but that is the only reason that the interconnector is required from the Scottish Mainland - to supply electricity to the wind turbines' windings!

Now this is something that I want to read about! Not being savvy about the internal workings of these huge proposed behemoths - that is something that just hasn't been covered.

The connector cable as I've been fed is there to "export" electricity to the mainland. Is there a laymans guide anywhere on the Net about such things?

They are hardly going to publish that kind of info!

Then how come you know about it? You must have taken your information from somewhere...?

I'll give him the benefit of an educated presumption - if I can see documents on "grid electricity" having to be fed into these machines to "make them work".

Thats quite an eyeopener!

True, yes. Although if Shetland, with a decreasing population, is continuing to use more energy, that would also be shocking.

Given the increasing number of power-hungry gadgets, ( eg plasma-screen TVs, games consoles, and dishwashers ), that people tend to fill their houses with, it wouldn't surprise me.

Given the increasing number of power-hungry gadgets, ( eg plasma-screen TVs, games consoles, and dishwashers ), that people tend to fill their houses with, it wouldn't surprise me.

I blame Fjools brother :shock: