Abortion

tomasinanorman wrote:

I would say that if you are irresponsible enough to get pregnant unintentionally then you are definately not ready to be starting a family.

My five year old was conceived unintentionally out of wedlock. Irresponsible it may seem but these things can and do happen. I do not however understand where you found the soap box so far away from human reason to state that we were definately not ready to start a family. The child will be in primary 2 soon perhaps you would like to come and explain to him how his parents are unfit. He is quite bright and His mother and I would find this talk beneficial to his education on not making general assumptions about people you have never met.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer for myself in that I would find it difficult to think of any circumstance where I would want to go through an abortion.

Even if the baby was the result of rape, or your life would be placed in serious danger if the pregnancy continued ?

I did think of those circumstances when writing my reply. I remember the feeling of realising that I was pregnant and the immediate bond I felt to something which was so tiny, and reliant on me for survival, and I guess that was an immediate 'mam' reaction. I had problems getting pregnant so perhaps that colours my feelings on the subject.

Do you think you might have a different attitude in other circumstances, though ? Say you hadn't been trying to get pregnant, and you happened to suffer from a medical condition that made pregnancy very dangerous ? ( For the sake of argument, let's say a 25% chance of death. )

Do you think you might have a different attitude in other circumstances, though ? Say you hadn't been trying to get pregnant, and you happened to suffer from a medical condition that made pregnancy very dangerous ? ( For the sake of argument, let's say a 25% chance of death. )

Without this turning into a debate on my own personal views on abortion rather than a general debate, I think that it depends very much on your own personal circumstances. Abortion has only applied to me (theoretically I hasten to add) the two times I've been pregnant. Both times it wasn't considered because I wanted to have a family. Before I had my first child I was very ill because of my attempts to get pregnant - if I had been pregnant I probably would have died. An abortion wouldn't have worked in the circumstances as they wouldn't have known whether or not I was pregnant for sure...

If I found out I was pregnant tomorrow I would still want to go through with it - there are lots of reasons why this wouldn't be a convenient or easy path to follow, but it's how I feel. It's not the answer a lot of people would give - but that's up to them.

I agree that sex education needs to be a lot better for youngsters - they can talk the talk, but their understanding is sorely lacking and unless they are taught the facts and learn to respect their bodies they will continue to have unprotected sex.

PJ O'Rourke once wrote that it was inconsistent to be pro abortion and anti capital punishment.

A good point I thought: I'm still pro choice but less opposed to hanging than I used to be.

There's a thought.

Personally I have no qualms with abortion of an embryo (up to 12 weeks) but not with abortion of a fetus (12 weeks or after) because that time it has a beating heart, fingers and toes, and therefore counts as a human - at least, as far as I am concerned, anyway.

In addition I don't believe in capital punishment.

I'd also like to add that I once read in a fact sheet that a woman is seven times more likely to die in childbirth than as a result of having an abortion.