Dog fouling

peeriebryan

Should people who let their dogs foul be prosecuted  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Should people who let their dogs foul be prosecuted

• Yes
    • No

It's good to hear that the SIC have finally got around to prosecuting someone for letting their dog take dump in a public place. It's been illegal for years, but no action has ever been taken against anyone till now.

Read this article

I've been a grasscutter for many years, and until you've strimmed dog mess into your mouth or up your nose, you probably won't be as annoyed as my co-workers and I about the problem. We regulary witness people letting their dogs dump wherever they want. When asked if they would please clear it up, most people deny it was their dog (I witnessed a big Alsation take a dump right in front of me while I was strimming around the back of the Clickimin. I asked the female owner to please clear it up. She refused and claimed her dog didn't s**t because it was constipated)

Some dog owners, when confronted, feel suficiently embarresed to go back and pick it up. These people must know it's illegal, but because no precedent of prosecution has been set, they have little motivation to do anything about it.

If anyone at the SIC would like a list of offenders, we could provide you with a very comprehensive document! Scalloway is by far the worst area in Shetland for dog mess, Ingaville Road in particular, followed closely by the Clickimin and Knab footpaths.

P.S. To the person who lets their dog do it's doings around the Kirk Business Centre in Scalloway.....you can expect something through your letterbox by return delivery next grasscutting season :wink:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they did not prosecute the person as I understand it. Just issued a fixed penalty notice but YES! it is a first step towards getting Shetland cleaned up. One of the worst spots lately has been outside Brucefield stores in Thorfin Street and another is St Olaf Street between King Erik house and Harbour Street.

What would be good is a feature in the Shetland Times telling dog owners about the penalties and also giving some sort of "shop the dog" number for people to phone in complaints.

I take it the "dogs against drugs" are far too well trained to do anything such as fouling a public place....or are they?.

This is a true story.

Some SIC labourers were working on the road in Scalloway when a dog owner allowed his dog to sh*t right next to where they were working.

One of the labourers asked the man to clean the mess up. This was refused, so the labourer picked up the sh*t and went to the man's house and placed it on his doorstep.

The next day the labourer was hauled in to the main office and given a verbal warning !!!

Guest Anonymous

A neighbour would always allow their dog to sh*t just outside our gate. I picked up the dog sh*t one day and threw it at them in a fit of rage as they had been told about it before.

I know I could have been done for it but didn't care. The police were never involved. The dog owner never let the dog sh*t near my gate again!

Scalloway is by far the worst area in Shetland for dog mess, Ingaville Road in particular, followed closely by the Clickimin and Knab footpaths.

P.S. To the person who lets their dog do it's doings around the Kirk Business Centre in Scalloway.....you can expect something through your letterbox by return delivery next grasscutting season :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know this peeriebryan, i know exactly who those culprits are too and the one at the business centre looks so embarassed when you catch them attached to crapping dug (regularly) I can not understand how it isn't easier for them to just pick it up, in a bag, same as the rest of us!

A note to the sinful: Tie a poly bag through the handle of your lead. Then you'll never leave home without one! And it gives the message to the world that you are indeed a conscientous individual and not an ignorant/inconsiderate fool. Or maybe you like stepping in it?

Catturd is concentrated evil (but we can't control where they do it). Dogturd is totally disgusting but where in Lerwick should dogs crap? I would never own a dog in a place where I had to pick up it's crap. But it's important for people to have cats and dogs for their sanity.(not theirs, ours) :?