Orkney's Bowling Alley

trout

It's sad to read, but also interesting in a comparative way to note that Orkney's bowling alley in Kirkwall has had to close due to a lack of patrons.

Being a much vaunted addition for many to Shetland's "lack of things to do" - would Shetland actually be in any different a position?

Bowling alley closes for good this weekend

ORKNEY'S only tenpin bowling alley is to close for good this Sunday night with the loss of four full-time and four part-time jobs. . .

. . . Powerbowl opened seven years after a public petition was raised locally, which attracted 5500 signatures, calling for a tenpin bowling alley to be established in Orkney. . .

. . . Sales during the past year have been disappointing and, quite simply, there has not been enough customers coming through our doors on a regular basis to justify continuing. . .

Read more @ http://www.orkneytoday.co.uk/news_item.asp?newsItem=1561

I'd be interested to understand further what they meant by "We have made great efforts to try to turn the business around, including a largely successful attempt at tackling the youth issues, but results were insufficient to prevent our decision.", which sort of reads that rowdy youths meant people were kept away?!

Anyone have more of an insight into Orkney dynamics to clarify what that statement means?

To me it appears simple business logic.

I have been in the Kirkwall facility many times and it was never very busy. They have/had the bowling, many of these annoying (popular nonetheless) gaming machines, pool tables, cafe and bar. It is very central in Kirkwall with good parking at the door yet despite all that it has proved to be simply not viable. Why? Because like Shetland the population is simply not big enough to sustain it.

Even if every person with an intrest in bowling went twice a week that is not enough out of a population of 20,000.

The OIC have been proved right not to back the venture with public money. When did we in Shetland ever apply that type of thinking before spending millions on these type of council backed projects?

If we can't learn from our own mistakes then maybe we can learn from other people's mistakes?

^ I read that too, and thought of previous campaigns in Shetland to open a bowlling alley. As a youth at the time, I was never interested in the idea, and I'm glad the money wasn't spent

I wonder how many patrons the Clickimin bowls hall has? I've never seen anyone using it. Money well spent?

^

I wonder how many patrons the Clickimin bowls hall has? I've never seen anyone using it. Money well spent?

Must be the only forward thinking by the Councillers, as after getting all their golden goodbyes they now have some where to hang out with their spare time as their will be no more free trips etc.

But honestly I never see anyone useing it and it takes up so much room, surley it could be used for somthing else.

The admission charge at the Kirkwall alley was in the order of £20. At that sort of rate a family visit would be a once a year occasion, if that ; Dad, Mum, and three children £100 :( I'm not surpised it has gone out of business. It's just not viable with such a small customer base.

Even if every person with an intrest in bowling went twice a week that is not enough out of a population of 20,000.

Sorry if my first post is a peerie bit off topic....but couldn't this logic be applied to the cinema & music venue

Sorry if my first post is a peerie bit off topic....but couldn't this logic be applied to the cinema & music venue

Bad max! Naughty naughty!

But seriously, welcome to the forums, get stuck in and if you wish feel free to revive the CMV thread which is HERE as nobody's been around them parts for a wee whilee, i suppose most folk are just resigned to acceptance now. *ducks*

Anyway, i'm with Frances on this one, as i stated on a thread so old i can hardly bring myself to resurrect it, i think an ice-rink would be most splendid, and have many beneficial uses, sport, leisure and entertainment.

Only time I see the Clickimin bowling hall used is when it's covered over and the space is used to host some kind of exhibition.

I've seen it used regularly, but unlike most of the centre it doesn't seem to get used 'randomly'. It is a good exhibition space and i was surprised during the Guitar festival to find it's a cracking peerie music venue too, which would be undermined if the CMV goes ahead.....oops, drifting....rapidly... off... edge of topic.....

*thonk*

yup fell right off it. curses! :P