Prision better for OAP's

• 3 weeks later...
Great to see the prison system working!!

When will the goverment learn that prison is supposed a punishment. Not something that people look forward to.

The thing here is that its NOT that the prison's are good, they're just better than the current treatment that OAP's are getting outside of prison.

According to one man.

My granny disagrees.

Yeah my post was off topic, I realise that. I just get fed up hearing that people dont mind jail as they find it an easier life than they get outside. Its hardly a deterrent.

However, in this case it reflects badly on us as a society that pensioners feel they are better off in jail than at home trying to decide wether to eat or stay warm.

However, in this case it reflects badly on us as a society that pensioners feel they are better off in jail than at home trying to decide wether to eat or stay warm.

Not all pensioners feel this way: one OAP I know has had a new conservatory built this year and has just come back from a holiday in Canada. If I asked her if she felt she would be better off in prison, I imagine she would give me a very odd look.

Evil Inky, said:

one OAP I know has had a new conservatory built this year and has just come back from a holiday in Canada. If I asked her if she felt she would be better off in prison, I imagine she would give me a very odd look.

high probability of being an ex council worker then??

The chap in the original article refers to pensioners who are entirely dependent on the basic state pension.

There are obviously a lot of pensioners who are wealthy and can afford to turn up the heating in winter without thinking about it. Unfortunately some can't :(

In a recent period of unemployment I was struggling to get a local employer to offer me a job so that I could get a fork lift certificate course to go and work for this employer. Needless to say it all fell through.

Recently I heard a programme on the wireless about prisoners getting education and one was telling how he was getting the latest fork lift truck certificate so he could get a job when he got out. Another was doing a degree.

What sort of message does that give those of us who abide by the laws and struggle to get employment through lack of training? When I got offered the chance of a degree I had to turn it down as I had a family to support and didn't feel that I would have time to work and support them as well as studying. Something that I now bitterly regret.

What sort of message does that give those of us who abide by the laws and struggle to get employment through lack of training?

It's been commented on here in Nottingham that if you don't speak a word of English, you get a translator at the Social Security office who'll let you know all your rights and what to claim, and help you do it. If you actually speak English, you're on your own ... the staff behind the desk won't volunteer any information about what you're entitled to on pain of losing their own jobs.

Also a friend (English) who'd worked on the Continent for three or four years was told that he wasn't entitled to a penny of support whilst (actually) looking for work back here, because he was not "habitually resident" in the UK.

Looks like the message running throughout is, "law-abiding honesty is a mug's game". It's not just the old it's hard on, it's anybody who can't fight back equally hard on their own behalf.