White Goods (and Electrical items)

jps

Hi Guys

Where is the best place to buy electrical items such as washer/driers cookers fridges etc in Shetland.

Or am I better off getting items shipped up from the mainland.

I tried hydro electric but they didn't seem like they could be bothered in serving me so decided not to spend my hard earned money there.

So I was wondering if any one could recommend anywhere.

(** MOD EDIT ** Title changed to reflect the topic from "Electrical items")

sounds about right.

unfortunately the hydro is one of the better places in terms of deals. other places you could try would be Bolts (in the Tollclock) or George Robertsons (across the road from the Golden Coach). You'll probably find though that they are very much more expensive than sooth, and not that interested in matching prices - "freight charges" apparently.

Littlewoods certainly used to deliver anything you wanted to your door for £3.95. They had a nice little disclaimer that said delivery to the isles might take longer than the quoted time - it was very hit and miss, sometimes you got it quicker than you thought you would, other times it took ages longer.

I think most of the sooth shops would deliver, just watch what you're going to pay for delivery.

www.appliancerescue.co.uk

Free delivery and connection in mainland Shetland with every appliance purchased.

George Robertsons also offer free delivery and connection on mainland Shetland and I think they will remove old appliances as well. An alternative would be Robertson and Petersons above the Viking bus station.

I would advise anyone thinking of buying big domestic appliances to consider the problems dealing with south suppliers should anything go wrong before comparing prices with local firms.

Last time I was thinking about buying something heavy from the Hydro shop they wanted to charge a fiver or something from the shop to the Hillhead and then said the could not deliver until the middle of the following week. Went elsewhere, paid less and had free delivery at a time to suit me.

To be fair to the people in the shop I think head office is to blame for some of the more irritating things.

The Co-op could be worth a look for white goods too.

I know from experience, they will happily refund or exchange any faulty goods without question, which is the complete opposite of my experience with the Hydro. I once bought a video from the Hydro which didn't work when it came out of the box and it was quite a pitched battle (which i eventually won ) to get them to refund my money.

I hope someone from the Hydro is reading this thread. It's a shop I decided long ago I would not visit again unless they have a serious change of attitude.

I like John Lewis for white goods. Their prices are good, delivery is free (although sometimes it can be a bit slow) and returns are no bother.

I bought a tumble drier from them but after a couple of days I wasn't happy with it. (It wasn't faulty, I just didn't like it.) I phoned John Lewis and asked if I could return it and order a different one. The following week JBT arrived with the new machine and took away the original one.

• 2 months later...

I put a new kitchen into the house the other month, after shopping around at LBC, Hays and the internet( I really wanted to buy local - so many problems buying bigger things from doon sooth) I went for a look at Geordie Robertsons on the Hillhead and they could offer me all my kitchen appliances for around a thousand pound cheaper than anywhere else! As I am quite fussy they had to order some of the appliances and 3 weeks later everything was fitted and tested brilliantly by the 2 guys delivering it. Brilliant and the shop staff seemed to take a great interest in what I wanted and what my needs were, so I would recommend them to anyone!

:roll: 8) :lol: :D

Recently bought a wall mounted electric fire from George Robertsons and found that after hunting the net that they supplied the fire for £45.00 cheaper than anywhere else before shippng !! :D :D :D

Hydro's attitude stinks , but Robertson & Peterson take the biscuit wi bad attitude / after service...........Horrendous. :evil: :twisted: