Mutton

Who will you vote for in the forthcoming Scottish Parliament Elections  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for in the forthcoming Scottish Parliament Elections

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Scottish Nationalist Party

I'm trying to get my younger mates to go out and vote and I hope they do I'm a bit of a nag when it comes to voting :oops: I think I'll be voting Green for the regional but not decided who for in the other bit.

I think there should be a bit in the ballot for Will Not Vote or similar that way you could see how many folk really don't want to vote as opposed to the just can't be bothered. I've a few folk that won't vote because they think that all policital parties are the same and there won't be any change whoever they vote in.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the poll it looks like Labours going to get a kicking!

I get fed up with people who have allways voted for a party, sometimes just because their parents voted for it etc. they have no idea what policies the party or the others have now, its just who they allways vote for.

You're wrong and, it looks to me as though you're looking for an excuse to justify your own political laziness.

Spoiling a ballot paper is a statement in and of itself. There's nothing childish about making the effort to make your voice heard; even if your voice is that you wish to vote for none of these people.

It's certainly more valid than sitting at home squandering what little say in the matter you do have.

Fjool I know that over the past months, we don’t always agree, on things

But you have just made, a Fundamental point on voting

Is it about time, there was a box, you could put a cross in that stated, I don’t vote for any of the above, and make it in law so that this vote had to be counted and read out at the same time as all the other candidates. And if there was, more votes for none of them, they would have to think again, then maybe people who do not vote, because they are feed up of the party system could also make there point heard, just look at the labour party, in 1997 ‘ vote labour the party to end sleaze’. The firs thing Toni Blair did when he got in to number ten, was give him and his pals a big pay rise. And so on, John Prescot, could not keep his pants up. Any girls worst nightmare, john Prescot charging at her with his pants around his feet, Like a big dung beetle looking at a big Turd. The labour party is no better than the tory party.

^^^ Agreed, a "None of the above" option is needed in every ballot.

Spoiling ballot papers may, as has been pointed out, be considered as a "protest" vote, and count against all candidates standing. However, to some people it simply says, "he/she was too stupid to figure out how to vote properly", therefor is an ambigious form of protest. A clear and to the point "none of these" message needs to be available to those who wish to send it.

make it in law so that this vote had to be counted and read out at the same time as all the other candidates.

This is already the case; the number of spoiled ballots are counted and declared.

Even if it didn't stop an election result, just imagine the outcry if an MP/MSP/MEP/SHEEP were elected whilst out-voted by spoiled ballots. It would certainly be sending out a strong message. It would possibly make the national news.

But no, people would just rather stay at home whinging than make even a small protest.

Ghostrider: I take your point re 'stupid people' but, when the 'clever' folks are known to hide at home refusing to vote at all, it's no wonder it looks this way. What if the number of spoiled ballots actually reflected the apathy people feel? You'd see thousands of spoiled ballots, not just a handful.

At the moment, protesting by staying at home could just be viewed as 'something good on the TV'. At least spoiling a ballot has a sense of purpose behind it. And no harm in walking up to the ballot box saying "I am spoiling my ballot because all of these candidates are complete clowns," while you do it.

Even if it didn't stop an election result, just imagine the outcry if an MP/MSP/MEP/SHEEP were elected whilst out-voted by spoiled ballots. It would certainly be sending out a strong message.

I am afraid that the way how they were elected might not interest any MP/MSP/MEP sheep anyway ... ;-)

It would possibly make the national news.

Just for the early morning news ... and then?! ... business a usual ... ;-)

what hacks me off most is all the bloody leaflets coming through the door, whats wrong with the candidates actualy getting off their backsides and knocking on a few doors, lets speak to them in person and hear their views on various issues. lets see the whites of their eyes see if they are lying or not

I agree that you should be able to give all the candidates a vote of no confidence.

The Russian elections are more democratic than ours. (They have it)

I think that politicans are scared at how many people would pick it!

I would pick it if i had the choice, buit without the choice will have to settle on one of the parties instead as dont want to spoil it.

Why on earth vote Green.

The only party one would expect to be against the VE Windfarm development and they claimed the global warming vote recently and I e mailed to ask whether Dr. Scott was for or against the windfarm development on Shetland and to date despite a reminder I have received no response.

Currently non of the candidates are against the VE Windfarm development and I have found only one possibly two local prospective councillors willing to go on record against it.

What a shower. A plague on all there houses. Politics stinks in this country and they wonder why we shouldn't vote for them or vote at all!!

I still don't agree that spoiling a paper is an effective protest, especially if done in crayon :wink:

I have to agree though that a None of the Above choice would get me off my "whingeing", "lazy", "squandering", "uneducated" butt and down to the voting place, wherever that might be. At the moment though my inclination is to leave it to those here that think they are clever enough to know about politics and let them choose on my behalf.

When 50 or 60% of the elctorate don't turn out to vote this gives a big message to the politicians that is why they are desperate to get us voting by pushing their litter (election propaganda leaflets) through our doors.

Whether I vote here or not Tavish will get in. So it is irrelevant whether I vote or not.

The first past the post system is just wrong. Proportional representation might be the other thing that gets me off my butt.

Politics makes a huge difference to us all and I have never felt wealthier than I have under this government, despite the fact that I earn half of what I have done in the past. There are things that they have done that makes them unworthy of my vote, so how about the Conservatives - the party of sleaze, or the other bunch of runners-up. No thanks.

BigMouth wrote

The first past the post system is just wrong. Proportional representation might be the other thing that gets me off my butt.

Where have you been to have not noticed that we have a proportional representation system for both the Scottish Parliament and the SIC elections. For Parliament we have the "top up list" system which is intended to ensure that minorities have a voice in Parliament while for the SIC election we have the "single transferable vote" system which should result in a council elected more in line with peoples wishes as expressed on the ballot paper.

Of course there are flaws with both systems as it is, so far, the will of the government to maintain a link between elected politicians and the areas they represent.

As for my voting intentions I am still going to vote for Tavish on the constituency vote, the Green party for the list vote and at the moment for the only two SIC candidates who have told me why I should vote for them. Still to decide between 1 and 2 on my list but others may yet on to my list.