Best Freeware/Open Source

Pooks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

has anyone used zoomplayer, i use it for everything (music and video) ill go out on a limb and say its the best piece of software/interface design i have ever seen. i can use my cordless mouse as a remote. you can customise everything, geek chic of the highest order. standard is free it plays everthing apart from dvds(pro does). god its clever, better than vlc which i have used for the last 4 yrs or so. google it.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Media Player.

I love Winamp

Codecs.

I use K-Lite codec pack. Has just about every codec you'll ever need.

Spyware removal.

I use Adaware and Spybot - not necessary to use both but I'm a bit paranoid (as I'm sure everybody has told you behind my back :wink: ).

PC maintenance (Disk clean up, registry cleaner etc.).

Try CCleaner (Crap Cleaner). Helps stop your hard drive(s) getting clogged up.

Antivirus.

Another good free AV is Avast. I've been using it for over 3 years with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Reclaim your privacy in an intrusive world" with -

http://xerobank.com/

- the xB Browser is Firefox, locked down by experts so *don't* play with the settings unless you know more about security than they do (unlikely). It does its surfing through Tor, or (if you pay them) through their own network of anonymisers which are a bit faster, and either way it'll work very nicely off a USB stick. They also do xB Mail, for encrypted/anonymous emailing, xB VPN, and the xB Machine, a "hardened" Linux Live CD. For those old enough to remember, they used to be "Torpark".

And - they're the only privacy enforcers I've found who have their own Ethics Advisor (!) - I like their attitude. Wouldn't visit my favourite pr0n sites with anything else. :D

• 3 months later...

I would suggest to anyone who runs an organisation that employs people to look at the HMRC Employer CD ROM. This is issued free to every employer registered for PAYE each year with updates as necessary. It can do all the tax and National Insurance deductions, year end forms and electronic submission to HMRC. The only thing it doesn't do is payslips. By agreement with providers of payroll software it can deal with up to 9 employees. Payroll software is fairly expensive so this could be a useful saving

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...