Northmavine Sign

Guest Anonymous

Your opinion on new sign?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on new sign?

• I Love The New Northmavine Sign
    • I Hate The New Northmavine Sign
    • Northmavine Sign?? Sorry, too embarrased to talk about it!!!

Like the "Angel of the North", folk will either love or hate it and it clearly identifies the gateway to Northmavine. The ethos behind the sign is to raise the profile of Northmavine and encourage people to visit or live in the area.

The concept of a gateway symbol is a good one. It's the excution of the plan thats the problem. The angle of the north is definately visible, this is not. I doubt people will 'love it or hate it', most folk probably won't even notice it. Which really is not the point.

If the sign had been twice the size or brightly coloured then there may have been a reaction. Being made of stainless, it just reflected the weather of the day and disappears into the hillside. Pointless.

I did like the glow in the dark idea though - that would be cool!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Angel of the North" was refuted to be the most horrendous and largest waste of money ever - barr the Millenium Dome! - though it is considered to now be a work of art and is instantly recognisable as well as being instantly associated with the Tyneside / Gateshead area.

Perhaps the new Nortmavine (purposefully left out the H there!) will also?

I thought i 'd heard, (perhaps dreamt) that they had some snazzy thing proposed that incorporated all the different types of rock that make up northmavine, perhaps that's another project.

I'd have to say, i'm not very impressed with that stainless thing, it suggests functionality rather than aesthetics, in which case a black on white standard style road sign would have been better. Surely there must have been some kind of public decision about it?

NORTH CAVEMEN EMIT WOOL

Excellent :lol: Well done, well done indeed....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ho mom! Inveterate clown! :D

Welcome a move north, nit!

No! North metal come view!

North men come alive, wot!!

Metal icon, we move north!

Tho' tin, a clever memo now..

:wink:

Admitedly the sign is difficult to see from certain angles.

Perhaps the solution would be to erect some sort of framework behind the sign and cover it with a dark green or black netting (this would allow the wind to pass through without (hopefully) causing any damage) which would then allow the sign to be more visible.

I thought i 'd heard, (perhaps dreamt) that they had some snazzy thing proposed that incorporated all the different types of rock that make up northmavine, perhaps that's another project.

I'd have to say, i'm not very impressed with that stainless thing, it suggests functionality rather than aesthetics, in which case a black on white standard style road sign would have been better. Surely there must have been some kind of public decision about it?

The snazzy rock thing is another project......planning permission is in at the moment.

Public consultation was carried out back 2004 with regard to the sign......planning permission also had to be secured, so folk also had a chance to speak up dan.

It's like everything visual...people will always have differing opinions, and a good job too - this forum would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed.

Love or hate the sign - you'll still be welcome in Northmavine :wink:

The poll is hardly fair! Don't know who designed it (but it shows terrible bias and therefore is useless as a poll. So it needs a rethink. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sadly any sign, statue, building etc is never going to please all the people all of the time. In my opinion that sign is just right. It doesnot impact too much on the environment. What do you want? - day-glo or flashing lights???? :lol: :lol:

I will also assume that people were actually consulted so could have their say at some point!!

But, everyone's entitled to their opinions. :?

As far as the sign is concerned, i think it is currently totally pointless. This is highlighted in the paper today - it's hard to see the flamin' thing! Stainless steel will be durable, yes, but it is camoflauged by the reflections all over it. Theres not enough contrast, a plain black and white road sign would have made a better gateway identifier.

Perhaps it could be painted. Even if it was painted silver, it wouldn't be as reflective and might stand out more...