Northmavine Sign

Guest Anonymous

Your opinion on new sign?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on new sign?

• I Love The New Northmavine Sign
    • I Hate The New Northmavine Sign
    • Northmavine Sign?? Sorry, too embarrased to talk about it!!!

Like many features of the Shetland landscape, the beauty of the sign lies in the various perspectives which differing levels of light afford it. I drove by about 6pm on three consecutive nights then, on the fourth occasion, at 8ish. It was so different - like seeing a pencilled note gone over in felt marker! Of course, differences of opinion are to be encouraged but please don't judge on the strength of a single photograph.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we all get one, this would really put Shetland on the map. I am pretty tired of the only type of coverage Shetland seems to get on TV is of the cat strangling Lounge sessions or some pre 19th century time traveling flat capped, Compo jacketed throwback.

Yes indeed, a few dozen big gaudy steel signs stuck up on random hillsides is just what we need as an advert to the rest of the country of how progressive we are. I hope the youth of Northmavine realise how lucky they are, I'm sure none will ever think of leaving now they have a big sign to go and stand at when things get a bit boring.

It is a beautiful and significant (in a tourism stylee) area of Shetland, but I thought that the sign would be better outside some prestigious business park.

I think the the crowd behind Da Big Bannock should have been consulted. They would have come up with something brilliant. :D

I am not going to vote as I feel indifferent to it :P

It is a beautiful and significant (in a tourism stylee) area of Shetland, ...

Absolutely agreed, Big Mouth!

And that's why the sign is right where it is. All the hords of tourist folks will climb up to the sign to take a pic so that they can say "I'm been to Northmavine" ... and all the sacred places like Nibon or Fethaland Point will be left alone for those folks (locals and a handfull of learned travellers) who knew about them before.

Brilliant strategic approach. Let's hope that it will work so that I'll find some of my favourite places unspoiled when I'll be back.;-)

And that's why the sign is right where it is. All the hords of tourist folks will climb up to the sign to take a pic so that they can say "I'm been to Northmavine"

Only they won't, because they'll drive straight past it, without seeing the thing! A camoflauged sign = chocolate fire guard....

Well, Mcdilly-Willy,

I am absolutely serious on that matter. Northmavine offers an outstanding landscape with some of the finest spots all over Shetland. And it is absolutely right that the people are proud of that and I do understand that they want their share in the tourism business.

I agree as well that sometimes you need a focal point to get the people mobilized and involved.

Nevertheless I am convinced that in this particular question "the horse is somehow dressed from the aft."

To me it is the same as it was with the "Rock Route" between Ullapool and Durness on Scotland mainland: A signpost and years of fruitless campaigning to promote the route because all the minimal but essential infrastructure was missing: No cleared up parking places, no interpretation boards, no picknick areas ... nothing but a lot of angry tourist after the third year when the toilets were opened but called and promoted as visitor centre with a nice memorial stone in front of the building.

Imagine, our website got informed about that development by desperate tourists asking us whether we do have some information. Not the best way of promotion. And I'm afraid that something similar on a minor level of course but with similar effects to your area might happen again.;-)

So, see to my nasty comments as a bit of firing the folks to get started with the rest as soon as possible.

Northmavine is already on the case islandhopper. Consultation for an interpretation plan has already started. Anyone who would like to submit ideas for places/specific sites/people/themes they would like to see interpreted in the area can submit ideas to the Northmavine web-site - http://northmavine.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=tourism&action=display&thread=1156880939

The sign at Mavis grind is part of the development of Mavis Grind as the "gateway" to Northmavine. A dedicated group, including local groups and agencies, has been working away for over a year now, on plans to improve the amenity at Mavis Grind and provide information on the area.

Things are beginning to take shape now and will hopefully be completed over the next few months. The plans are as follows:

Tidy up of SIC area at South end of MG - already underway

Planted area using mortar surface and native plants

Layby at North end of MG

Orientation Board at north end

Self dispensing leaflet holders to enable folk to gain access to info about Northmavine

Self closing gates - already in

Waymarked route to a viewpoint and Neolithic house site

Picnic Benches

Interpretation board with info about the North Sea/Atlantic being used by fishermen and also info regarding the neolithic house site.

In addition, MG will be the start point of a Volcanic Trail. A geological wall depicting a slice through the geology of Northmvaine will be constructed during the Summer. An interpretation board regarding the fantastic geology of the area will be sited near the wall.

You'll be able to pick up a self-guided leaflet at MG which will map out the rest of the Volcanic Trail, and will take in Braewick Beach, Stenness and Eshness. The trail will finish at the Grind O Da Navir and further interpretation will be available at each site. The Volcanic Trail project is currently being carried out by the Shetland Amenity Trusts Geology Project Officer and should be completed by September.

This is an example of the some of the work currently taking place in Northmavine.

All the hords of tourist folks will climb up to the sign to take a pic so that they can say "I'm been to Northmavine"

there could be room for some T shirt sales there too, "photo printed onfront" even if only for the humour value of it. printed toilet paper for the more poo faced critics you could really clean up with that one.

Only jokin with me signpost trollin anyhoo, it dont make no odds to me, you wouldn't get me in northmavine if you made the sign from gold seal, and I'm sure it took some time and at least a little bit of effort to weld, polish and stick the sign up, besides mostly I'm all in favor of weird stuff and there's no reason why quaint and bizarre cant work together.

Good luck with it anyway, I hope it brings you all the love and hard cash your hearts desire.

I do kinda hope that it remains unique in Shetland though.

I hope seeing as folk have gone to the trouble/work/expense of erecting it, that it's made out of thick enough wall steel so as to be Ned proof. Otherwise I'm wondering just how long it will be before the only thing it says is ____OM_ _O _OR__MA____, the other letters having been bent out of shape so as to be unreadable.

To echo Koyaanisqatsi though, Northmavine is not my stomping ground, I doubt I've been there more than a handful of times in my life, and I don't expect that to change. But I hope the initiative bears the fruit hoped for, the committment to the idea at least, deserves that.

It seems a bit o a waste o money. Why get an artist tae design what is essentially plain text cut oot in metal. Surely they could have just asked Ocean Kinetics tae do the exact same thing. Lookin at this picture it's no just the most easy thing tae read, although that might be different drivin by it.

Just wait for yun bend tae become an accident hotspot we folk readin the sign.

Ah ha!

I have discovered that it is actually visible at dusk, when the light is dimming and there isn't enough light to reflect off the steel - it just appears silvery. Against the broken up background of the stony hill it just isn't something that stands out during full daylight, but when it starts to get darker.... waay hey!

So, if you want to know when you are entering Northmavine, there is a brief window of time each night when you can drive north and know exactly when you pass into 'gods country'....

....or buy a map.

Northmavine is already on the case islandhopper. ...

Well then, go ahead and you will probably get the same coverage as did The North West Highlands Geo Park ... at least from our website: See http://www.schottlandportal.de/content/lakuGeolHighlandsNorthWest01.asp

If you fail, I would not hesitate to use your case as one example amongst others to demonstrate the difference between the German and the common Scottish approach on tourism development. That is to say: You place a singpost as an initial for years and then start to discuss how to promote an area ... we develop the best standards of regional facilities but forget about the signposting ... ;-)

*advert note on http://www.schottlandportal.de on*: The only German speaking website about Scotland within the last 3 years among the (elected, not advertised) Top 6000 tld's .de domains ... *advert note off* ... :-D :-D :-D