Easy Food - Just Add Water

BigMouth

I am trying to come up with a list of food which can be made just by adding hot or cold water for hiking over the hills purposes. So far I have come up with the following: -

Pot Noodles - yeuch

Mash spud (powder)

Ready Brek (mix it with Marvel first)

Muesli (mix it with Marvel first)

Cuppa soups

It's not like living like a Laird though is it?

Anyone else got any ideas?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok not quite instand food but a "Double up"

Kraft dinner (aka Cheesy Pasta).

Cook the past in boiling water for 4-6 minutes then follow the instructions on the packet.

DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BOILING WATER.... Instead add a beef stock cube to the boiling water for a delicious mug of beef tea. :D

Slightly off-topic, but if you're into coastal walking (or goin oot in peerie boats), there's nothing better than working up an appetite, catching a piltock (or whatever), and cooking it over a hot flat stone. I've done that a few times on various beaches and uninhabited islands around Shetland, and I can tell you, a fishing rod and some matches is the best damn picnic you'll ever pack!

^^ .. dat wis queer. I managed to scrub that somehow!? It was:

?

Tak a snare we dee and git a rabbit! Couple 'o tatties and a carrot and du's aff!

Still we dee tatties and carrot - catch a troot!

Far maer filling and doesna cost naethin!!

Thanks chaps, but I fear that I would starve to death if I had to catch my own :oops:

Another interesting thought that has come to mind is where to get the water from. I don't like the idea of straining my water through my teeth to try to remove what the sheep upstream has just jettisoned into the water :cry:

Whilst on the subject of water I have a tale to relate that might raise a smile. It comes from the viewpoint of a caring father doing the best he can for his teenage son.

I offered to buy my outdoors/trekking/climbing ruffy tuffy son a solar still. "That way you can pee in the still, leave it in the sun, and within hours it will be good to drink" I told him. He said there was no way on earth that he would ever drink his own urine.

Being a caring soul and concerned for his hydration I offered him my urine. He didn't seem impressed :wink:

When my son was doing all his DofE stuff incl a 100k (practice) Gold hike which took in several Munros just for the hell of it he would always get me to send off for proper Army ration packs. They were quite expensive at £10 a day but the great advantage was that they were very lightweight and compact for all the stuff you got in them and he assured me that the meals could be contemplated with some degree of anticipation at the end of a day. Can't check with him as he is currently in Belize doing jungle warfare training! – fortunately it’s only a Gap Year Commission and he will start at uni in Sept - however younger son is pretty certain that this is the right place and that this was the best one because you had a choice of menus.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr409.html

I would never contemplate hillwalking without Green & Blacks Organic chocolate. Cheese (preferably goats) and oatcakes are another must. No cups, fires, etc involved, just a pocket knife to cut cheese.

For the just add water theme if heat is involved you can easy pre-make a bag of ingredients for chilli with tvp (texturised vegetable protein - i think you can get it at Scoop), keeping the tinned kidney beans separate until cooking of course. Mmmm fond memories of camping days coming back!

and don't forget coffee!

I would never contemplate hillwalking without Green & Blacks Organic chocolate.

Mmmmmm...

I agree. I've recently had to wean myself off of the 80% stuff. Bananas are good for walks due to thier slow release energy. I suppose you could boil them if you really wanted to... or if you had no teeth.

Thanks chaps, but I fear that I would starve to death if I had to catch my own :oops:

Another interesting thought that has come to mind is where to get the water from. I don't like the idea of straining my water through my teeth to try to remove what the sheep upstream has just jettisoned into the water :cry:

Whilst on the subject of water I have a tale to relate that might raise a smile. It comes from the viewpoint of a caring father doing the best he can for his teenage son.

I offered to buy my outdoors/trekking/climbing ruffy tuffy son a solar still. "That way you can pee in the still, leave it in the sun, and within hours it will be good to drink" I told him. He said there was no way on earth that he would ever drink his own urine.

Being a caring soul and concerned for his hydration I offered him my urine. He didn't seem impressed :wink:

Ah bet his response wiz..............pissriteaffdanoo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: