fair isle is sinking

mrT

I was speaking to a couple of guys lastnight from a well know uni, who say that some students have been doung some studys and have found they said that fair isle is sinking!

Has any one else heard any thing about this?

please!

The sea level may be rising too, but we are supposedly actually sinking as well, something like one inch per 100 years or something like that. Something to do with the American continent moving westwards as time passes, widening the Atlantic, and we're falling in the hole that's getting made as a result. It's been a while since I read about it, so recall of details is a bit vague....maybe I just fell for an April Fool's gag though. :?

I heard something similar years ago. What I'd heard was that Unst was rising, whilst Fair Isle was sinking - in effect, Shetland was tipping. For all I know about geography, that could be plausible or utterly ridiculous.

/shrug

yes, i was told a few reasons like the Earth's Plates and Continental Drift.

but he made a great point that of he had been living on fair isle doing studys.

he had also been speaking with the locals and they had noticed a great differance in there life time.

i have an image they sent me with how low the water had been and how high the water had been and it is not down to tides! might you think! they have evidence and 10 years of studys to prove there work. the rocks have sevearly cracked all over the island. there is some places unsafe for people and animals.

fair isle might have to be evacuated in 5 to 10 years.

The sea level may be rising too, but we are supposedly actually sinking as well, something like one inch per 100 years or something like that. Something to do with the American continent moving westwards as time passes, widening the Atlantic, and we're falling in the hole that's getting made as a result. It's been a while since I read about it, so recall of details is a bit vague....maybe I just fell for an April Fool's gag though. :?

I'd always thought it had something to do with the rest of Britain "rebounding" after being covered in vast amounts of heavy ice during the last Ice Age.

I'd always thought it had something to do with the rest of Britain "rebounding" after being covered in vast amounts of heavy ice during the last Ice Age.

Yes, my understanding also. Due to the isostatic rebound of Scotland and Norway after these areas have been "unloaded" by the ice sheets melting, Shetland is caught in the middle and being flexed downwards.

Shetland's sinking at the same time as sea levels rise.

:(

Guest Anonymous

Shetland sinkin or da sea risin, canna be muckle o a worry,,

Or da cooncil widna hae biggit da Museum an Archive upo da current high water mark. :lol:

Dey ken best :lol:

:o haha true! it is a serious matter is it not?

i think the council would donate 8 million to the island to keep it afloat for the history and the heritage. we can all laugh about it now but the next few generations might suffer!