fair isle is sinking

mrT

Fair Isle and the whole area west of Shetland / Orkney is sinking due to isostatic movements since the last ice age when they were at the outer edges of the ice mass ...

Think about a nice medium sized bowle of blancmange or any other thick custard-based dessert with a thick solid and well levelled skin (chocolate taste preferred but vanilla works too ;-)). Press with a broad spoon on the centre as a simulation of the pressure caused by the mass of ice: you will see that the edges will rise a bit. Then take the spoon away (ice is melting) and the edges will move back to their original position ...

Add some milk or Drambuie to your bowle and can watch the relatively sinking and rising of the sea level ... ;-)

he made a great point that of he had been living on fair isle doing studys.

he had also been speaking with the locals and they had noticed a great differance in there life time.

i have an image they sent me with how low the water had been and how high the water had been and it is not down to tides! might you think! they have evidence and 10 years of studys to prove there work.

Well I live in Fair Isle and I've not heard about any of this. As far as I know the piers and old slipway in the harbour are not any further down than they were when built. One inch per 100 years sounds very plausible, but noticable differences within a lifetime don't. Who is this person who's been living here doing studies? I think they might be pulling your leg.

the rocks have sevearly cracked all over the island. there is some places unsafe for people and animals.

fair isle might have to be evacuated in 5 to 10 years.

Er...no. There are some places unsafe for people and animals. Cliffs, for instance. Slippery rocks next to the sea. Rabbit holes concealed by vegetation. In front of a moving tractor. But unless health and safety rules are getting very tight indeed, I don't think we'll need to be evacuated just yet. Thanks for your concern though.

Fair Isle and the whole area west of Shetland / Orkney is sinking due to isostatic movements since the last ice age when they were at the outer edges of the ice mass ...

Think about a nice medium sized bowle of blancmange or any other thick custard-based dessert with a thick solid and well levelled skin (chocolate taste preferred but vanilla works too ;-)). Press with a broad spoon on the centre as a simulation of the pressure caused by the mass of ice: you will see that the edges will rise a bit. Then take the spoon away (ice is melting) and the edges will move back to their original position ...

Add some milk or Drambuie to your bowle and can watch the relatively sinking and rising of the sea level ... ;-)

whares the jelly and fruit? we could turn fair isle into a trifle!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

or a baked alaska!!

i think that the studys have been kept a secret for a while.

THE COUNCIL DONT KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU THINK THEY DO!

IF THEY DONT KNOW SOMETHING OR DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS GOING ON THEN THEY THROW MONEY AT IT OR BUY IT!!!

THEY SHOULD TAKE A LEAF OUT OF ORKNEY COUNCILS BOOK!

THEY WERE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO PUT MONEY INTO THE BOWLING ALLEY AND THEY REFUSED BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WASNT GONA WORK!

WHAT HAPPENED TO IT? IT WENT BUST BECAUSE THERE WASNT ENOUGH PEOPLE USING IT!

THE COUNCIL BACK EVERYTHING! JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE NORRÖNA!

WILL IT BE BACK?

IF THE COUNCIL GIVE THEM HAND OUTS THEY WILL!

i think that the studys have been kept a secret for a while.

THE COUNCIL DONT KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU THINK THEY DO!

IF THEY DONT KNOW SOMETHING OR DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS GOING ON THEN THEY THROW MONEY AT IT OR BUY IT!!!

THEY SHOULD TAKE A LEAF OUT OF ORKNEY COUNCILS BOOK!

THEY WERE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO PUT MONEY INTO THE BOWLING ALLEY AND THEY REFUSED BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WASNT GONA WORK!

WHAT HAPPENED TO IT? IT WENT BUST BECAUSE THERE WASNT ENOUGH PEOPLE USING IT!

THE COUNCIL BACK EVERYTHING! JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE NORRÖNA!

WILL IT BE BACK?

IF THE COUNCIL GIVE THEM HAND OUTS THEY WILL!

Did the council keep the caps lock button secret aswell?

Anyway, this thread made me laugh.

Yes - this is the case. But the movement is inconsequential - inches per thousands of years.

Can we speed it up? I would love to watch England sink. :D

Well despite the slow rate, it's causing increased wave action against the Cliffs of Dover, increasing erosion of the South Downs.