Greenpeace Carry On!

engineer21

I have just been reading about the greenpeace campaingers placing themselves in front of fishing vessels and between pair trawlers, was wondering what everyones views are on this - its there idea that by doing this kind of stunts that fishermen are going too stop fishing cod in the north sea!

In my opionin this is one of the stupidiest things i have heard for a long time! these guys want too be taken seriously!! please get a grip!!

For me this kind of stunt is just like walking out in front of cars too demonstrate that ppl should be driving less!!

it has just infurated me because as if said before here i work at sea onbord ships mainly in the north sea and of course i understand the danger these protesters are putting not only themselves but also fishing boat crew and anyone who is going too have too rescue one of the fools when they get into difficulty!!

does anyone think they will get anywhere with this?? or iam i being too sensitive? with the recent Bourbon Dolphin disaster showing how quickly a bad situation can turn into a serious disaster!!

Iam not whooly against saving the fish stocks of the north sea however i do belive that the fishermen also understand that if they did keep fishing then there will be nothing for other generations of which there are normally a few esp in the shetland boats and with there regulations regarding days at sea in force i think most boats are sticking too the law.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, for a lot of people, Greenpeace were written off in their minds as being more about cheap publicity stunts, and revelling in the "five minutes of fame" that ensued from them in the media, than being any kind of serious organisation, quite some years ago. This is a view I hear expressed frequently anyway, and harrassing a few trawlers is just the latest in a long line of them, it was tying themselves to an oil rig out west to save whales last they were round here, wasn't it? Can't say I recall that making any difference to anything, I doubt this one will either.

Personally, I'd say if they wish to be suicidal and jump in to the direct pathway of a moving ship and/or it's fishing trawls, it's no-one's fault unless their own if they end up going home in a body bag.

There may be a certain logic in this latest extreme stunt in that cod are fairly fast swimming fish and if they did nothing more than slow the boats down then they may be saving a few cod. I doubt however that this technicality has anything to do with their action plan.

Interestingly, i hear tell that local fishermen are getting entirely sickened with the abundance of cod caught in relation to quota, which is causing them to dump more cod than ever, dead, at sea.......

.....answers on a postcard addressed to "Scottish Executive" or EU fisheries ministers, etc etc.

I don't think you're being too sensitive at all.

As far as I'm concerned they've lost any credibility they might have had by this foolhardy display.

Anybody with any respect for the sea and seagoing practices would surely think that to leap into the North Sea in the path of pair trawlers towing is nothing short of reckless stupidity. It puts the actions of the guy who went to Ronas Hill in the shade.

No doubt if they get themselves into difficulties, they would expect those same trawlers and the emergency services to swing into action post haste to pull them out of the mire they got themselves into.

All for the sake of a publicity stunt! Well I hope this one backfires on them.

Guest Anonymous

Being the naughty sod that I am, I visited the Greenpeas website last night. Their blog on the trawler stunt invites comments, so I signed in (that bit is easy, by the way,, hint,, hint), and added a comment. But as they are a non-democratic bunch of yahoos, all comments have to be passed by a moderator before it can be shown :roll:

My comment was worded nicely enough,, so we'll see,, if it doesn't appear I will give them something to keep the sods moderating until they ban me,, :twisted: ...

The main point I tried to make to them is that if their silly activists get in difficulties they could divert the emergency services from saving a real life.

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

You can't really say that the stunt didn't work though. When was the last time North Sea cod stocks were mentioned on the main news bulletins?

While I don't think that putting lives at risk is a worthwhile excercise, in some ways they have been forced into it. The mainstream media is completely uninterested in environmental news, so Greenpeace have realised that the only way to keep their campaigns in people's minds is to use stunts.

They may lose some sympathy when they go overboard like this (excuse the pun) but they are good at reminding people that there are still two sides to the debate. Scottish media in particular are very bad at showing both sides. They tend to just take the fishermen's word as gospel.

has no one ever noticed that green peace are always running about in big big boats, "like of unst yesturday" helicopters and not to forget those old uneconomical cars and vans maybe because they dont make a decent wage to afford anything eco freindly!

but after all this there trying to change the planet by bothering other people about what they are doing wrong to affect the environment they should take a look at the way they live there lives first! those big boats that they run around the world burn a lot of fuel!!

I think this is a telling quote from the person who was in the path of the trawler. Seems that he was far more interested in getting the publicity right than his own or the fishermen's safety

I was so concerned with making sure the photographer could see my 'STOP - Cod in Crisis' sign, and trying not to swallow too much seawater, that I forgot all about the fishing boat with its big steel cables towing its huge trawl net behind me
http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/oceans/north-sea/cold-wet-scary-and-worth-it

"Forgot all about the fishing boat" !?!

We made contact with a fishing vessel fishing for cod and explained to them our campaign for marine reserves and asked them to stop fishing for cod. They refuse...
A boat out fishing doesn't stop on a Greenpeace request made over the radio. What did they expect?

hahaha at bryan what a quote hahaha they refuse really what are these guys on!!

yeah i kinda aggre i think greenpeace have lost a lot of support with not only the general public but also people who have sway in goverment shall we say.

but excatly who would be expected to rescue one of these fools it would of course be the coastgaurd or the very boats they are putting themselves in front of, i would not blame the fishermen if they just steamed on by but of course true sailors/fishermen always rescue someone in trouble at sea because you never know when it might be you!

i aggre also that the media dnt show the whole story all the time but scientists have done "studys" into cod stocks and shown that the restrictions in place are enough this was also in the media

and of course we still have that problem of dumping perfectly good edible fish which is a utter waste but theres not much the fishermen can do!

I did the same as Auld Ramsie asking Greenpeace what if they considered what they would've done if they got in trouble and if they had thought that they too are polluting the air with their boats and helicopters. But as usual my post was not viewed and no reply has been received.

I think this was just a publicity stunt but poor fisher men who had to put up with it!!!